Robyn's Reviews > The Ask and the Answer

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

Apr 09, 2009

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** The Ask and the Answer seguel to The Knife of Never Letting Go starts off exactly where the other left off with Todd running into Haven and Viola wounded in his arms. When he arrives he finds the Mayor already there. In this book Ness has alternating perspectives between Todd and Viola, which I did not enjoy. In a world where women are silent we should not be allowed to hear them. But obviously if he didn't do that we wouldn't have been able to get all the juicey inside drama of the Answer. Still I would have enjoyed to be in the dark about what the women were thinking and continue to view them with suspision and fear as the men of Prentiss town do. Also the first book had all the chapters listed out in a table of contents this book has none. Did Ness decide midship that was a bad idea? Then each chapter has several breaks where the action is stopped and begins anew at a different time. I never felt I could get into the story and stay because it kept pushing me out. But the story itself I loved. There were so many times I hated Todd, Viola, the Mayor, and Mistress Coyle. Who was good and who was evil? Why was Todd and Viola letting these people manipulate them? But in the end I mostly hate Todd and what he decided to do at the end of the book. Why would he not kill the mayor??? Seriously? Okay so Todd cannot kill. Bull! He already did. Now I have to wait forever for the next book to come out to see if Todd will ever kill the Mayor of if Viola's going to have to do it for him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ask and the Answer.