Valerie Baber's Reviews > The Little Prince

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Apr 09, 2009

bookshelves: university-assigned
Read in January, 2009

I bought the French version of this book to read along with the English iTtunes audio book I downloaded. What a lovely surprise to realize that the book that I had been so embarrassed to carry with me to my college language classes was actually a very philosophical book for adults disguised as a book for children, or so I like to believe. While its intended audience is for 9-12 year olds, I feel that an older audience would gain the most out of this story, as they would be able to understand another meaning to the young protagonists pensive dialogue and experiences throughout his otherworldly adventure. While all the characters the Prince runs into throughout this 96 page book are fun, over the top characters with childlike appeal, they are also very accurate representations of characters adults would meet in their actual lives. As they witness the little Prince learn through his relationship with the rose, his run in with the drunkard and his meeting with the lamplighter, readers are offered satirical observations about people we are all bound to meet at some point in our lives. The vain man, the business-man and the king are perhaps the characters that I got the biggest laugh out of, because I have known people like all of these and was actually able to put names to them. This isn’t to say that I didn’t appreciate all the characters. I was laughing all the way through when I wasn’t in moments of contemplative silence and admiration for St. Exupery’s ability to both see things from a child’s eyes and to so cleverly disguise so very many important lessons that we should remember throughout every phase of our life, from enfant to grande personne.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Prince.