Judith's Reviews > Just One Year

Just One Year by Gayle Forman

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2013, own-english, for-review, reviewed

Rating: 3 stars

When I just finished Just One Year, I gave it 4.5 stars. But the more I thought of it, the more frustrated I became. I think that at first I didn’t realize how many issues I actually had with this book. But the moment I started trying to write my review it hit me: I was disappointed. And conflicted. And very, very confused. This was my most anticipated fall release, one of my most anticipated releases ever. So naturally, when I discovered that Hannah was sweet enough to send it to me, I did a happy dance. I also may have cried. Only… it didn’t live up to my expectations. I guess I should have seen it coming. Just One Day was life-changing for me. How could a sequel possibly live up to that? But still, that’s what I was expecting.

Read the full review at Paper Riot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just One Year.

January 29, 2013 – Shelved
September 24, 2013 –
page 180
September 25, 2013 –
page 222
66.07% "So confused about how I feel about this book so far!"
September 25, 2013 –
page 319
94.94% ""I put on a CD of Adam Wilde." HEEEEEEE!"
September 25, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
September 25, 2013 – Finished Reading
October 9, 2013 – Shelved as: own-english
October 23, 2013 – Shelved as: for-review
December 21, 2014 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Lindsey (ideklinz) I also decided to give it 3. While I had the same anticipation you did, ending as abruptly as it did was so disappointing. Like my very short review said: more. I needed MORE! I do like how you've mentioned relating a lot to Allyson (same) & how it was fantastic to read both characters have such transformations, we were left hanging in the doorway once, don't do it to us just once more :( also...the more I read I got really annoyed that A EUROPEAN WOULD CALL SOCCER, SOCCER AND NOT FOOTBALL! That's like sacrilege!!! Lol ok I'm done ;) xx

Judith EXACTLY. Wait, did Broodje say soccer or football? Because it's definitely voetbal (football) here, but I think that we are pretty flexible about that. I mean, if I would talk to an American about football I would say soccer. It was more the words that annoyed me. SADNESS.

Lindsey (ideklinz) YES!!! They both kept talking about soccer! Remember in Mexico on the bus the girl talks about it & that's how those two spend time together? Lol while an insignificant detail on the whole, that's just a reminder of how some Americans can't think outside the box. I *hope* it was changed for the book but I'm assuming it's not. But yeah...I just...THE DOORWAY!! NO FAIR!! I'm sure it'll be addressed at the signing ;)

Judith Hahaha, yeah I remember. But I think that Broodje would just want to adapt to whatever the girl is saying. Both soccer and football work, really. OHHHH the signing! You tell her to write another book about Allyson and Willem ;)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I so agree. I've never wanted an epilogue so badly. It would have saved the book for me, because really, I've been waiting months to find out what happens when she walks through the door and it ends in the exact same place! Arghhhhhhhhhhh

Lindsey (ideklinz) Yep--so frustrating!

Yes I will plead for even an outtake if we can't get a book! Just throw us a bone already ;) lol!!

Maria Katherine De Jesus Just One Year is a companion novel while Where She Went is a sequel novel ... I just realized it now after reading..

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Huh, you're right. That word "companion" is stuck in there way down at the bottom of the description. That would have made a huge difference in my expectations! I wouldn't have even bothered because I am turned off by companion books... I just desperately wanted a sequel. I feel duped.