Lori's Reviews > The Master and Margarita

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Apr 09, 2009

bookshelves: fiction
Read in May, 2009

For some reason, when my Goodreads friends chose to read this book together, I declined, thinking it was going to be a gag-me-romantic sort of love-story novel.

After they began to discuss it, and I realised it was about the Devil reeking havoc in Moscow, I was all over it!

We follow the Devil and his minions (a red-headed man with a yellow fang, a tall man with checked pants and a cracked pince-nez, a naked woman with a purple scar on her throat and an upright walking, talking, vodka drinking black cat) as they mess with the human populations minds.

Funny, whacky, engaging, creative.
I really enjoyed this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master and Margarita.

04/11/2016 marked as: read

Connie I hope you like this book. I really wanted to like it. It sounded like a book I could love. It was a little out there for me. I think you will "get" the humor that I missed. I've also heard that a particular translation makes all the difference. The edition published by Every Man's Library is supposed to be the good one, don't recall his name at the moment. In general I tend to have trouble with translated works. Anyway, let me know, I would love to hear your take when you get around to reading it.

Lori Ive heard lots of great things about this, I still need to buy it, But I am really looking forward to reading it. I promise to let you know what I think once I get to it :)

Stacie I hope you like it, Lori.

Chloe I really do too! It's a lot of fun.

Lori Im on chapter 2 right now, and really liking what I am reading so far... Here's to high hopes!

Nancy This book was a cult novel when I was in college, and I'm eager to hear how it holds up. I loved it.

Connie Hi, Lori: Which translation did you read? As you know I'm reading Anna K now--a book I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on-- and I swear I am loving it because I've got one of the better translations. Got me thinking I might revisit The Master & Margarita again someday.