Meena Bhatnagar's Reviews > The Bankster

The Bankster by Ravi Subramanian

The book is around 350 pages and has a nice, sleek look. The book feels good in your hands, with a little bit of texture on the cover.

The plot has three parallels - a CIA operative shrouded in mystery; an elderly gentleman who runs a resort in Kerala with his stand on a nuclear reactor planned in the area; and an inside look at the corporate politics and unabashedly selfish characters in a global bank.

Till the 160th page one really wonders who the protagonist in the book actually is. The plot, in short, is a little slow for a few pages, and then accelerates to breakneck speed.

But there are a few disappointments which popped up:
- The women in the book seem a little hollow. Obsessed with looks and PR, they seem to be constantly playing politics. Women, as protrayed in the book seem to be highly insecue about their age, the way the dress, and seem to be ready to use their looks to achieve their ambitions.

Just a question - don't men look at mirrors when they see one?.... a little too much stereotyping for my liking

Some more stereotyping - Men, at least the successful ones are all seem to have a roving eye, seem to be noticing the number of buttons that are undone in a woman's shirt! The only one who is sincere ends up being unsuccessful, misunderstood, and eventually dead!

Also, The unofficial banter between colleagues, the flirting between them all seem a little forced.... or unnatural.

The author has skillfully described settings for each locale in detail. The landscapes in Angloa, the lush greenery in Devikkulam, the Mumbai suburbs, the streets in Vienna.... all of them are clearly etched in one's mind. Unfortunately, one can't say the same for the characters in the book. Except for one person (will not tell you who - don't want to spoil the climax for you) I don't have images framed in my head for the other characters - not even the protagonist!

I am really bad when it comes to financial terms, but hats off to the author for making it easy for non-banking people like me. Easy, simple words. No typos, and good print quality.

Final Verdict : Definitely one of the best thrillers from an Indian author. I certainly did not see the climax coming, and loved the way every piece fell into place at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bankster.

Started Reading
October 25, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 28, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Ravi Subramanian Thanks Meena. Yes, the climax was a high point from my perspective too. Am glad you liked the twist at the end. :) Your words are really flattering. Words of encouragement like these, keep us authors going. Have you read the earlier ones.

Meena Bhatnagar The pleasure was entirely mine, Ravi. I am yet to read your earlier books. Will do so soon.