Meegan's Reviews > Goddess of Yesterday

Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline B. Cooney

bookshelves: ya-lit

This novel was recommended to me in my YA Lit class and the topic sounded intriguing. It wasn't until I was perusing the shelves of the YA Lit section in my university library a year later, that I decided to read this novel. Anaxandra is one of those characters who is always very unlucky. Anything that could possibly go wrong does...but Anaxandra is blessed with people who care for her and watch out for her. Eventually, Anaxandra's misfortunes do leave her in the presence of Helen of Troy. Not many fictional novels and the works of Ancient Greek authors never really display Helen the way Caroline B. Cooney does. Helen is described as a swan, but swans are not as beautiful and innocent as we are usually led to believe. When Paris, prince of Troy steal's Helen's heart, Anaxandra takes the place of Hermione Helen's true daughter. Hermione is luckily saved from being in the presence of the dreadful woman who gave birth to her...Despite the hardships Anaxandra faced, she was given the opportunity to have a happy ending. Caroline B. Cooney allows the reader to decide what happens to Anaxandra next, which wasn't a terrible ending to such a sad story.

Overall, this novel was much more difficult to read than I expected. I would categorize it as an older YA Lit because of writing style and because of the heavy topics covered. I doubt a fourteen-year-old would be interested in something like this. But the writing style is also the reason why I loved it. It is clear that Caroline B. Cooney did research on the characters, events, places, culture, etc. of that time. The descriptions were beautifully done and so was the explanation of simple things like the deadly element mercury and glass. I would categorize this novel as a work of art rather than a novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess of Yesterday.

January 28, 2013 – Shelved