Laura J. W.'s Reviews > Dreaming in Cuban

Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina García

Apr 08, 2009

bookshelves: i-ll-read-it-again

Dreaming in Cuban — what a colorful book, it is saturated with color — sunlight — life — it is a dream. I started reading this during the week my mother passed away, read it during the wee hours I spent at her bedside during that long vigil in the Comfort Room — this beautiful book carried me through the toughest two weeks of my life and I was sad to come to its end, but I’m happy to know that I can read it again at any time, even if I pick it up and open to a random page and read it for a few minutes, this is a book that is easy to become immersed into and fall in love with all over again. As with many beloved books on my bookshelves, there are several dog-eared pages to revisit — the language is supple and written so lovingly — it has a sorrow that can break your heart and make it sing with joy at the same time. A classic beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming in Cuban.

April 8, 2009 – Shelved
August 1, 2011 – Started Reading
August 12, 2011 –
page 129
52.65% "I started reading this two days before my mother passed away, and carried it with me to the hospital and sat reading it during the wee hours while listening to her quiet breathing, waiting for the end...this book was a beautiful comfort to me during that time...and continues to be a comfort a week later..."
August 14, 2011 –