Mendi's Reviews > Wildflower Hill

Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman

I really enjoyed this book, Wildflower Hill, written by Kimberly Freeman and read by Caroline Lee. It has a similar theme as several Kate Morton books where the reader is transported through time from one individual to another - typically a familial ancestral connection of some sort between the two. In this case we hear from the granddaughter, Emma, and her grandmother, Beatie, as they both struggle through tough times in their lives. We learn how they changed and choose their path and how they ache for a journey that cannot be theirs. In the Kate Morton books, the character in the present time often learns more about the ancestral character through letters or pictures or other stories that she finds. In this book, our present day character, Emma, finds out about some secrets of her grandmothers, but doesn't really know the whole truth, just the outcome. That feels more realistic to me; that one might get a sense of what types of challenges her ancestor may have faced but never really know the truth behind choices she had to make. I think that is what I liked most about this book. I liked that while our modern character had a sense of the truth, the reality would always belong only to the originator, in this case, the grandmother. It reminded me, that one should not judge another because we can never understand the cause of the choices they made; we have not walked in their shoes. [There were several moments in this book where I really wanted to hurt some characters because of their self righteous decisions which affected Beatie in a negative and hurtful way. I was always proud when she showed independent confident thoughts. Sadly her decisions sometimes caused her downfall because of the narrow minded environment in which she found herself]

What I love so much about these styles of stories is the message that there can always be a connection to our past that we should and can take some grasp of, if we make the effort. And of course, I love the mystery to it all that when written like this, makes it seem so predestined.

This was a totally fun read that was moved up a notch solely by the most enjoyable narration of Caroline Lee. I love the lilt of her voice and the way she says "no" making it sound like dough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildflower Hill.