Veiltender's Reviews > Oath of Swords

Oath of Swords by David Weber

Apr 08, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: people looking for a light fantasy read.
Read 5 times. Last read June 1, 1999.

This is a fun little fantasy book. I have read some of Weber's science fiction (my father loves Honor Harrington), but I like this more. I tend to appreciate fantasy more than science fiction, in general, but this is a fun little with meddling gods and a mighty hero. Actually, it would be a lot of fun to role-play in this world.

This is light fantasy fair which is a lot of fun to read. It does begin a series, but the rest series is not as good as the first book, in my opinion. I also believe think this book stands alone, but my wife disagrees with me, so you may not want to read it if you don't wish to start a series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oath of Swords.

Imrahil83 I must admit that I enjoyed this book. Light reading, to be sure, but fun. One of the reasons that I like this one so much is because the hero is a non-traditional D&D type paladin. Perhaps something of a superficial reason for liking a book, but it is a pretty superficial book anyway.

I got about half of the way through the second book and gave up.

message 2: by Cadel (new)

Cadel I also really enjoyed this one. I agree that it can be read as a stand alone. However, I also enjoyed the second book. I have not yet read the third one.

It is a very easy read with some fun imaginative characters.