Rebecca's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

2201113
Apr 08, 2009

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, vampire, young-adult, on-love-and-romance, chick-lit, reviewed
Read in November, 2006 — I own a copy

I first read Twilight before it got really famous (in England at least), I just picked it up in a bookshop because I was a slightly gothy young teen with a penchant for vampires (Anne Rice) etc... And I really enjoyed it then, and I still like it now, even though I'm totally disillusioned with the whole young adult paranormal romance smuff that has followed along behind it.

Because no, it isn't a great piece of literature but it's sweet and romantic, and reasonably original... unlike the barrage of obviously Twilight-inspired books that drive me absolutely mental because I hate unoriginality and the way that publishers seem to want to push out as many similar books as possible, never mind if they're good or interesting or even properly proof read. It's insulting to readers. (Sorry, rant over). (If you like the rant however, please see my review of the utterly ghastly book Jonas for more!)

So yar, I can totally see where all the criticisms of Twilight are coming from, I can tell now that the writing isn't that great, but picking up on how bad some bits are is part of the fun! And at the end of the day, it's just one of those comfort reads that makes you feel like everything is ok- it tells you that sometimes love can be the be all and end all (I don't care what other people say, love can make you totally crazy, Bella-style), and sometimes its fine to worry for hours because the hot guy is rude to you.... let's just hope he turns out to be a sexy controlling yet restrained vampire, eh? ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.