James's Reviews > Hole in My Life

Hole in My Life by Jack Gantos

M 50x66

You always hear tragic tales that involve drugs and you never think it could apply to you. Why would it? You're a decent person that knows right from wrong, it can't happen to you. When we are young, we all believe we are invincible, some of us still do.

Jack Gantos recounts his struggle starting as a young high school student aspiring to become a writer. He has plans for college so he can become a better writer but feels he has nothing to write about. Through his search for inspiration and lack of common sense he goes from naive teenager, casual pot user, drug trafficker, inmate to someone who is aware of his place in the world and is grateful for it.

An interesting read that shows how good people can easily get mixed up in the drugs and into prison. Gantos narrates his story in a casual, reflective tone amusing himself about the stupidity of his teenage years and how if it wasn't for him ending up in prison he would never be the writer he is today. Take something out of the mistakes you make in life, learn and grow from them and don't let those mistakes define who you can be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hole in My Life.

April 7, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
April 18, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sayuri (new)

Sayuri I like to read about real life stories in which people become addicted to drugs, lose everything and recover from it all to make a triumphant comeback. Do you own this book? Can I borrow it if you do?

James I have the audiobook of it so I'll be sure to bring that along the next time I see you.

Sayuri wrote: "I like to read about real life stories in which people become addicted to drugs, lose everything and recover from it all to make a triumphant comeback. Do you own this book? Can I borrow it if yo..."