LJ's Reviews > To Kingdom Come

Read in August, 2005

TO KINGDOM COME (Private Investigators-Europe-1884) – VG
Thomas, Will – 2nd in series
A Touchstone Book, 2005- Hardcover
The Irish Republican Brotherhood has blown up part of Scotland Yard and the blast does damage to the offices of Investigator Cyrus Barker and his young Welsh assistant, Thomas Llewelyn. Barker volunteers their services to the British government, and they infiltrate a branch of the IRB whose aim is to blow up the main sites in London and the citizens around them.
*** A very interesting book in light of the times in which we live. The story is told by Llywelyn, which gives it a humanity and personal view as he talks about his fears and insecurities. Barker is an enigmatic, but we learn about him as does Llywelyn. I very much enjoy developing relationship between the two characters. The author has clearly done his research of the time and includes a literary figure as a secondary character. The writing is excellent with some of the best first lines, in the prologue and first chapter, I've read in a long time. I would read the series in order but this was a very good read in, what looks to be, a wonderful new historical mystery series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Kingdom Come.

05/21 marked as: read