Aa'Ishah's Reviews > Sometimes Never

Sometimes Never by Cheryl McIntyre

Jan 26, 2013

bookshelves: blog-tour, contemporary-fiction, reviewed, kindle

This. This was what I needed. A compelling contemporary with a heart-stopping romance and beautiful friendships. Granted, this was by no means a light read. It was dark and intense, which admittedly is the kind of book I usually go for. But aside from revelling in this side of the story, the pages of Sometimes Never are home to characters I fell head over heels in love with. Cheryl McIntyre has, without a doubt, made it onto my list of favourite authors.

Hope's life has been far from easy. She never knew her father, and her mother was uninterested in raising a daughter, instead either leaving the house unexpectedly or bringing home undesirable company. Then she died. For the past few years Hope's lived with a foster family, and while she's much better off than before, she still can't erase the pain and the scars that her past has inflicted on her. And love? Out of the question. Mason is now at his eighth school in five years, a result of his mother's constant desire to move. He's tired of not being able to stick around long enough to make proper friends, tired of having to leave places behind - especially his home of Illinois. He lets his temper get the best of him and uses girls as a way of trying to forget and to lose himself, but doesn't really believe in love.

And then they meet. And everything changes.

McIntyre deals with difficult issues in a very sensitive manner. Looking at the cover, it does kind of give the impression that this is perhaps something of a heavier read, but there is no specific mention of the topics that get brought up, leaving me surprised when I started reading. A lot of these stem from Hope's character. Hope has had some truly traumatic experiences, and because of that is a character completely and utterly broken. Both within the book and as a YA protagonist, she stands out from the crowd. Strangely enough, I felt almost no frustration with her character. I could see how much pain she was in, how she genuinely felt that she wasn't worthy of love and that she would destroy any kind of relationship she had, not realising that her friendships were relationships in themselves. Commitment is an absolute no-no for her, and that makes her almost oblivious to how differently other people might feel. She's also one hell of a fighter. She does struggle with herself quite a lot, and by the end of the book she's come a long way from where she was at the start. Not completely healed, but I think almost as much as possible for someone who's been through her experiences.

Now, if anyone were to ask me to name all my book boyfriends, it's safe to say we'd be here for...well, for a long while, let's just say. So what does it tell you when I say that Mason would be among the first names you hear? And he would be. Because he is honestly that amazing. This guy does nothing but help Hope and be there for her. He is just more sweet than I can describe. He makes mistakes, and then does his utmost to rectify them. The relationship he shares with his younger brother is also touching; these two don't fight and yell at each other. Mason is the responsible older brother who takes the time to do things with him, and you can see clearly that Kellin respects him. He gets along with his mother too - although this was a woman who had lost my respect by the end. She pulled a move that I was so scared would happen, and when I was proved right, I couldn't believe she would do such a thing. Yet somehow Mason has turned out to be a genuinely good guy, someone who stands up for what is right, makes his own choices, and refuses to go along with what others want him to do.

The secondary characters are brilliantly fleshed out as well. I can't even begin to tell you how much I adored the friendships in this book - between Mason, Hope, Guy, Chase, even Kellin and Misty. Guy is Hope's absolute best friend, and she's pretty tight with Chase as well; all three of them are part of a band, and Park is the fourth. Out of the secondary characters, Guy was by far my favourite. I loved him. Completely. He's been there for Hope ever since her mother died, and he understands her like no-one else does. At the same time, he says his mind. But even though he's my favourite, I love Chase too. I'm a little mixed with Park. On the one hand, I can see where he's coming from, but at the same time he does something that's pretty unforgiveable.

I adored this book. Pure and simple. It's so clear that Cheryl McIntyre knows every single one of her characters back to front, inside and out. And every single relationship in here, whether it's familial, platonic, romantic, loving, indifferent, painful - every single one of them is deep, layered, expertly written. Sometimes Never is all about the characters and their struggles to move on in their lives and, without fully realising it, this is what I needed to read. And if this review has made even one of you add it to your TBR, I feel like I've accomplished something. Because this is a book that deserves to be read.

This review is also posted on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sometimes Never.

Quotes Aa'Ishah Liked

Cheryl McIntyre
“The people you love most are the ones who hold the power to hurt you so completely.”
Cheryl McIntyre, Sometimes Never

Aa'Ishah I think I'd vaguely heard of it, and then I saw a blog tour came up, and I'm so glad I decided to go for it! :)

Hafsa Whoa. FIve stars? That must be good then :D

Aa'Ishah Try amazing. :)

Hafsa Ohkay then. I need to read this soon ;)

Aa'Ishah Please do. Though I'm not sure if you'll want something a bit lighter afterwards. :P

♥Rachel♥ Oh wow! This sounds amazing Aa'Ishah! I love the sound of Mason. Hope's issues with commitment sound like they could be frustrating. This is going into my TBR. Wonderful review. :)

Aa'Ishah Mason is just one of the sweetest guys you will meet. They can be, although you can see where she's coming from with her past. I hope you enjoy it just as much. Thanks Rachel! :)

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Wow Aa'Ishah! I'm in! This sounds amazing. Wonderful review! I might have to meet Mason soon. :)

Aa'Ishah Haha, yay! I hope you like him. Thanks, Laura! :)

message 10: by Asma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asma Mighri Please tell me this isn't one of those stupid Love-Triangle books cause I wanna read it so bad after I read your review but I can't handle love-triangles right now ;)

Aa'Ishah Nope, this one is blissfully free of love triangles. There's a bit of tension but the book is focused on Hope and Mason. :)

message 12: by Asma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asma Mighri Thank you, you're a life saver ;)

Aa'Ishah No worries. If you do read it I hope you enjoy it. :)

Jabberwocky Love the review. Makes me wanna read it! Lol. Although I do have a question: does (view spoiler)

Aa'Ishah Thank you! (view spoiler)

Jabberwocky Aa'Ishah wrote: "Thank you! [spoilers removed]"

Yay, thanks! I know it's weird, but it's a quirk of mine that I have to know before reading it. Lol. (:

Aa'Ishah Haha, no, that's fair enough. It can make a difference to your reading experience depending on the answer. :)