Jane's Reviews > The Visitor

The Visitor by Lee Child

Jan 25, 2013

liked it

I'm reading the Jack Reacher series in order, so this is the fourth Lee Child book that I have read. So far, the main conclusion that I have is that these books, whilst never being the most highbrow of literature, are pure entertainment. I enjoy them in the same way that I enjoy a summer blockbuster film.

Having said that, I think that The Visitor is probably the best Reacher book I have read so far. It seemed quieter than the others, less crash-bang and more quiet detective work. Sure, Reacher has to rough up a few people, but it doesn't seem on the same level as it did in other books.

When I finished the Die Trying, the first book in the series, I presumed that the women in Reacher's life would be like Bond girls; there for the duration of the book but never to be seen again. Jodie Garber proves the slight exception to this rule, she was introduced in Tripwire and makes a second appearance here. There is a second woman in Reacher's life though, FBI Agent Harper is hardly a subtle character, but it is interesting to watch how Reacher builds a relationship with a beautiful woman when he has a girlfriend; a situation we haven't seen him in up until now.

I've read other reviews, and I agree that maybe the ending was a bit far-fetched, but as I mentioned, I'm not expecting great literature here. Things need to be tied up so that Reacher can go and have another adventure in the next book. The killer wasn't obvious to me until it became obvious to Reacher, and I didn't guess how 'The Visitor' was perpetrating the murders.

If you are a fan of Reacher and enjoy a bit of escapism, The Visitor is an enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Visitor.

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brilliant book!

Jane Just finished it - I really enjoyed it!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Have you read One Shot? That is my favourite. Steve is obsessed with the Lee Child books so I end up reading them too!

Jane I'm reading them in order, I think One Shot is about three ahead of where I am. This was definitely the best one so far, but I'm looking forward to reading the rest!

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ooh cool :) still need to read some of them but I've got such a big TBR pile! Lol

Thomas Devine I think you distinguished how this book should be read - for "pure entertainment".