Miriam's Reviews > The Whole Stupid Way We Are

The Whole Stupid Way We Are by N. Griffin

Dinah and Skint have been friends for a long, long time. They have the fierce, intense sort of bond that odd kids can form to keep the rest of the world bay.

Dinah has gentle, loving parents and a baby brother they are all wild about.

Skint has a father sunk deep into dementia and a mother who is furious, despairing and in over her head. He misses the father he used to have, understands and hates his mother simultaneously and colludes in the attempt to keep his dad's condition secret.

Skint and Dinah are sensitive and hurting, seething at injustice in the world at large and in their own lives in small-town Maine in the dead of winter.

Dinah knows Skint is in trouble. For one thing, he won't wear a coat, which borders on suicidal, and then there are all the subjects and people she avoids discussing for fear of upsetting him. She aches to help him.

Sometimes love isn't enough. And sometimes love is all there is. Life is so unfair. And the world is still beautiful.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whole Stupid Way We Are.

Finished Reading
January 25, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Hi Miriam - this sounds good. Would you recommend it for middle school?
Karen

Miriam Karen-
Certainly a good read for middle schoolers. I think Skint and Dinah are in 9th grade and it's hard to read about their unhappiness. Also, they grew on me as I read the book. My attention was gripped immediately, but it took me a while to catch on to their personalities and their relationship, so...not an easy read. It may get word-of-mouth traction, since they are such wonderful kids. But not for readers of THE CLIQUE, if you know what I mean.