Trisha's Reviews > How to Lead a Life of Crime

How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller

Jan 25, 2013

bookshelves: crime, grief-loss, kindle, netgalley, romance, ya-literature
Read from January 25 to 26, 2013

4 and a half stars

At the heart of this gritty and undeniably un-put-downable narrative, there is a strong moral tale about knowing what is the right thing to do and being strong enough to act even when the odds are against you ever achieving it. Flick's attempts often fail, and people around him sacrifice much, but he never stops trying. This was enough to keep me reading.

And there was this point in the story, about halfway through when I was reading about people being killed, and how that might happen, and I realised I was no longer upset, and that made me realise the quality of writing had got me on-board this train wreck of a journey and I wanted to see Flick win. But honestly, initially, I was disturbed and sad.

The thing stopping me from giving this extremely good book 5 stars is that sometimes the narrative is waylaid by too much dialogue, which is barely disguised exposition. Some of Mandel's theories were over-explained and repeated, and I wanted to move forward, not listen to him go on and on....

I haven't read many books like this, but it's true - the world is a harsh place, and kids disappear into the cracks. I would like to think there are people like Flick & Joi out there working against the system to help them.

Not for the faint-hearted, this book will be out on Feb 21st 2013. Copy provided by the publisher via Netgally. Received and read with thanks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Lead a Life of Crime.