Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Reaper's Property

Reaper's Property by Joanna Wylde
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4013351
ROMANCE NOVEL FAIL.
Please note that I am not saying BOOK FAIL or STORY FAIL. I'm only taking issue with the romanticizing of things which should never be romanticized (in a contemporary) without some sort of heavy disclaimer or taboo label. I would have been easier on this book if it had been marketed as taboo and written from the point of view of challenging the reader's perceptions. But this is even labeled as romantica. So FAIL it is.

Some spoilers ahead and a slight bit of swearing. I'm not in the mood to have to censor myself or try to figure out how to write a polite review which doesn't reveal too much. All bets are off today. Read on at your own peril.

If I see one more representation of a biker who is an oiled-up, hair-free model posing on a bike that no MC member would be caught dead on, I'm probably going to scream.

We're talking about a Motorcycle Club, right?


As well, the next time I see anyone bitching about Twilight for being stalker-rific, i'm going to ask if they've read any of the recent "alpha biker" books to have come out. At this point, I'm going to start referring to a vampire watching someone sleep as the more cuddly version of stalking. Because right about now, that behavior seems downright endearing compared to being blackmailed and/or kidnapped and forced to have to become someone's fuck-buddy.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

It's not okay, people. It's not cute. It's not romantic. It's not sexy. Any guy who thinks he's doing you a favor by trading your brothers life for your sexual favors is NOT WORTH DROOLING OVER.

Wow, I didn't realize how much my switch had been flipped until I started writing this review. In so many ways, this book was a thousand times better than Undeniable. In all honesty, the writing was much more polished and the story had a clearer PoV that wasn't flailing all over the place like it was in Undeniable. Hell, I even think Horse was genuinely more likable than Deuce when looking at the big picture.

Unfortunately, it was the initial setup for this story which screwed everything up. The book starts off with Marie (one of the dumbest characters I've read to date) frothing at the mouth over a guy for reasons unknown. At least with Undeniable, the chick was raised in the MC world and being treated like this was what she knew and expected, so I wasn't going to rip on someone for staying in a familiar cycle (i.e. crime begets crime). That situation was still ridiculous but it was more understandable.

But Marie...ridiculous, clueless, brain-dead Marie...

Yes, I get it - he's hot.
Yes, I get it - he's hot.
YES, I GET IT - he's hot.

Right now, I'm ashamed to be a woman, if this is what we've evolved into - frothing at the mouth over a man who is disrespecting you with his words and is rape-y with his actions. Just because a person doesn't physically force someone to have sex with them does not mean that the situation isn't rape. Marie was FORCED into the situation (okay, so she went like a willing, whipped puppy dog...but only after being told that this was her fate, else her brother face the wrath of the Reapers).

Plus, he punched her wall and broke her door after she said no. For a moment, I was almost happy that Marie was standing up for herself by telling him no. But then, the moment passed because she then laid down and took it like a pro. Sure, she was forced into a bad situation. But she sure seemed to be enjoying it. Was she ever really disgusted by this man who turned her into his own personal sex slave? Because if she was, I never bought into it. Even in her thoughts, she was never really all that disturbed.

Yet, even with me saying that, I actually liked Horse to a certain extent. He is one of those people who you want to root for as a reader, even though he was a screwed-up person. Yes, he was completely off-base for what he did, but we got to see his side of things and were able to (somewhat) understand where his though process was at when we were in his head. Yes, he acted rape-y in a roundabout way and I didn't like that. But any time he thought he might actually hurt Marie, he did show remorse for it. But Marie wasn't seeing what we were seeing all of the time. She didn't know that he was conflicted. She only accepted what she was given with not enough feelings of 'ewwww' over what she was being put through. Even if she was forced to have to go along with it all, wouldn't the fact that she was being forced be enough to make her slow her roll at least a little?

Therefore, I found Marie to be completely uh...what's the way to describe her?

Oh yeah - this.

How can a woman be constantly in heat over a man who hadn't proved himself worthy of her affection?

Oh right, I know why. Because he was hot.

Excuse for a moment me while I crawl into a corner and cry for humanity.

There's a reason why I love the show Sons of Anarchy (hint : it has nothing to do with being a romance). I like watching shit hit the fan. And for that reason, I did find this book to be entertaining.

And again - if Marie had at least started out more resistant, I could have possibly handled a story in which two people overcome a bad situation and find a way to make things work. I'm okay with "big baddies" being redeemed in many cases. Horse did have a soft side in there somewhere. But he never really had to pay for his actions.

The Marie Dumbass Hall of Fame

Even scary, the man made my panties wet.
~Pssst...Marie. He's scary for a reason. It involves unapologetic violence and killing.

I swayed a little as he stopped, reaching out with one finger to trace my collarbone from my shoulder inward, then running it down between my breasts, grazing the sides. He raised it to his mouth, tasting my sweat. He smelled like motor oil and sex.
Holy shit.
"Hey, sweet butt," he said.

~ THIS IS THE VERY FIRST MEETING. What woman would be okay with being touched inappropriately by someone they didn't know? By the way, she was in full arousal mode. Within a few minutes, she was wondering how she could stop herself from pushing her breasts in his face. Classy broad, this one.

I'm ashamed to admit that I creamed my pants right then and there instead of kicking him in the nuts like a sensible girl.
~ First off, gross. I don't want to know about your discharge, woman. Secondly, she's aware that she's being stupid. Oh right...hot man trumps all.

Part of me wondered if Horse had come back. You know which part - that little nub between my legs.
"You need to get better locks," Horse said casually. "It took me about ten seconds to get in here."

~He breaks in and you're horny again. Forget the saying having to do with guys thinking with the wrong head. Apparently, dumb women are capable of the same thing.

"I'm in charge here, don't forget it," he stated.
I nodded, mesmerized.

~lalalalalalalalala. I'm in my happy place, humming a tune right now. Anything to make the pain go away.

I didn't think he had a girlfriend but we hadn't actually talked about it. Probably should have asked that before grabbing his dick in the pool.
~Nah. Because that would have required thinking about something other than sex.

My anger disappeared, replaced with terrible unease. I'd forgotten how terrifying this could be.
~You get the point.

I could go on and on. She finally stands up to him in one scene which had me cheering, then she went and started spamming him with "can we talk?" texts. Co-dependency is a bitch, apparently. And don't even get me started about how a near-rape experience with another person was glossed over in favor of more sexual tension. Sigh.

But I'm not giving this book 1 star for the following reasons :

1. When I wasn't screaming at Marie, I was entertained by the story. I like reading about MC life. Organized clubs and gangs have always fascinated me.

2. I actually liked a lot of the characters other than Marie. Picnic is one of the characters who I'm rooting for to find a HEA. I also want to see Picnic's daughter break out and find a life of her own.

3. The writing was decent. The author can tell a good story. Since my main frustration did not revolve around the club life aspect, I think that I might enjoy reading other books in this series with a different take on a female lead. They can't all be Marie, right? At least I'm hoping *cross fingers*

4. The old ladies were an entertaining bunch. Sisterhood can be fun to read about.

5. This quote : "It's a .38," he said proudly. "I know you're a .22 girl, but it's time for us to take the next step in our relationship."

6. I felt like Horse was honestly willing to try and change his ways. We don't always get to see this in books. Sometimes the men go for a lukewarm compromise. In this case, the man did actually make the effort to try and be worthy of the woman he loved. It came later than I would have liked to have seen but at least it happened.




163 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reaper's Property.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

January 24, 2013 – Shelved
February 15, 2013 –
20.0% "Marie, I'm confused. This man :\n \n 1. Touches you without your permission on your breasts the first time you meet.\n 2. He then tastes your sweat as you observe that he smells like sex (please tell me that you're picking up on a sex-like aura and not smelling an actual encounter with another person).\n 3. He tells you that he's in charge, then punches your wall and breaks your door when you say no.\n \n This is NOT sexy."
February 15, 2013 –
30.0% "A man wants to use you, so the answer is to get angry enough to make him leave...then MESSAGE that person later to try and fix things?\n \n This chick is the very definition of too stupid to live."
Started Reading
February 17, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments (showing 1-50 of 70) (70 new)


message 1: by Natalee (last edited Feb 15, 2013 04:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Natalee Grimaldi Haha I thought the same thing!! I so did not like Horse in the begining, but I actually ended up liking this book in the end :D


Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm actually okay with Horse. I'm more annoyed with Marie, believe it or not.


Leea That's how I felt. too. haha! She drove me nuts at the end of this book.


Stacia (the 2010 club) I finished last night but no time to review yet. Got the kiddo's party up in a little bit.

Mixed thoughts on this one...


message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Who gives someone the nickname Horse? I certainly wouldn't...I mean, when you're standing beside a guy at the urinal it's eyes front and center. The guy who gave him that nickname must have had wandering eyes...unless he gave it to himself.


Leea The biker picture had me laughing so hard. Love your review in progress. Can't wait to read more and I totally agree with you.


Stacia (the 2010 club) I don't get it. The book was a fun read in parts but how could anyone like Marie?

Ian wrote: "Who gives someone the nickname Horse? I certainly wouldn't...I mean, when you're standing beside a guy at the urinal it's eyes front and center. The guy who gave him that nickname must have had wan..."

He actually got the nickname from childhood but loved to use his name to remind people that he was hung like a horse.

I could never call a man Horse. I just couldn't do it.


Leea Wasn't it Horses dad who gave him that nickname? Which makes it all the more nasty. Eww!


Stacia (the 2010 club) Maybe he's one of those dads who's all : that's my boy!

I just finished my review. I'll go look at your thoughts in a sec. It's been a long day so I'm trying to rush through stuff and head to bed.

BUT OMG CHUCK E. CHEESE SAT ON MY KID'S BDAY CAKE. BEST. PARTY. EVER.


message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "BUT OMG CHUCK E. CHEESE SAT ON MY KID'S BDAY CAKE. BEST. PARTY. EVER."

I hope you didn't put a splash of children's tylenol in their cordial.


message 11: by Leea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leea What? That's crazy. Hope Silas got 1,000 tokens or at least another round in the money thing for chuck e sitting on his cake. Happy birthday buddy!!


Stacia (the 2010 club) The party organizer chick did end up giving us a ton of tokens and tickets after that and she must have said sorry at least 20 times because she was the one who put the cake on the edge of the platform so it was right in a spot where it was easy to sit on.

But what had us laughing so hard that we were in tears is that Silas was just glaring at Chuck E. as the mouse was wiping off his ass. I think his aunt got pics of it. Her girlfriend was chanting REFUND, REFUND.


Stacia (the 2010 club) Ian, what does children's tylenol do?


message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "Ian, what does children's tylenol do?"

As far as I can tell, absolutely nothing...but still, you probably shouldn't spike the cordial with it.


Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh, I was thinking there was some other sinister motive for doing it.


message 16: by Giedre (new)

Giedre
Marie (one of the dumbest characters I've read to date) frothing at the mouth over a guy for reasons unknown


Laughing with a sad face on. Yeah, so very accurate. I think Horse himself actually called her dumb to her face somewhere in the book.

Great review, Stacia.


Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks. :) Maybe I should have been wondering why he wanted her.


message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Horse? Hey, sweet butt? Creaming panties? So much gross up there. But let's not forget that these books exist bc there's an audience of women who loooove these rape-y men.

Oh, and congrats on writing about discharge and somehow making it funny. :)


Lauren (Sugar & Snark) Great review! I have to say I liked this one. Mostly because I thought it was a contemporary version of a Historical Romance favorite. You know the one where the enemy clan/Lord kidnaps the fair maiden and keeps her as his "sex" slave for revenge etc? But I can see why the premise would not sit well in a modern setting or even a historical one for that matter. :D


message 20: by Christie (new)

Christie Its amazing what being a hot man lets you get away with. At least I'm glad I'm not the only one who constantly gets annoyed about how women in books allow men to walk all over them because "he's just so hot."


message 21: by Lance (new)

Lance Greenfield I LOVE this review!

And I LOVE you, Stacia!

You really don't hold back, do you?!

If this book is the way that you describe it, it would annoy the hell out of me too.

Really great review. Congratulations!


Amanda (.---.--.-...-) Yes! I kept wondering why Horse wanted her! She drove me crazy but I went in with low expectations so I thought it was some fun motosmut.

I was at Chuck E. Cheese this weekend as well but didn't get anything near as exciting as your trip. I'm just hoping I didn't pick up pink eye. If you find a photo, please post.


message 23: by Rachel the Book Harlot (last edited Feb 18, 2013 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel the Book Harlot Stacia, you crack me up! Love the review. :D I feel ya on Marie--she made me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork. I thought the (view spoiler)


message 24: by CatchTheseWords (new)

CatchTheseWords Wow...Marie sounds like one classy girl. I don't think I'll be reading this, even though apart from her it doesn't sound like a bad book.


message 25: by Elaine (last edited Feb 18, 2013 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine Great review, as always! I admit to being thoroughly entertained and engrossed by this book, and giving it 5 stars. You make a good argument, about the story being a ROMANCE NOVEL FAIL. Marie certainly wasn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and I did repeatedly want to smack her upside the head. You did a good job of articulating her stupidity.


message 27: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Oh Stacia, that was such a great review!!! I was laughing so hard!!! Thanks for making my day! ;-)


Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Jen, Flash, Lance, Elaine and Sharon. It makes me happy to make people laugh. So in return, you all made my day. :)

Amanda, I'll have to see if I can dig one up. I hope you don't get pink eye!

Holly, I understand. I really don't think that it was a bad book if you could overlook the main character's actions (which I had a hard time doing). The background of the club and its members was interesting. I will be reading the next in the series because I'm hoping that there will be a different type of lead character and I'll have more positive things to say.

Christie, it's a trend that seems to be gaining in popularity. I'll be over here on the outskirts waiting on the next trend.

Rachel, (view spoiler)

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Great review! I have to say I liked this one. Mostly because I thought it was a contemporary version of a Historical Romance favorite. You know the one where the enemy clan/Lord kidnaps the fair ma..."

I actually admit to liking a good kidnap fantasy book, so I can handle this theme in PNR and historicals (or with contemp books where it's marked as taboo).


Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* Very lengthy, good review. I know to steer clear of this one.


Stacia (the 2010 club) Ack. I know that I am too wordy at times. I fail at condensing!


Lilly P Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "I don't get it. The book was a fun read in parts but how could anyone like Marie?

Ian wrote: "Who gives someone the nickname Horse? I certainly wouldn't...I mean, when you're standing beside a gu..."


Lmao, this was hilarious. Nice review. I did love me some horse though. He was hilarious.


Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks. Horse did have some good moments, especially near the end.


message 33: by K.M. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.M. Galvin You nailed it on the head! Marie seriously ruined this novel, if she had been a stronger heroine and knocked Horse on his ass every once and a while my rating would have been completely different. Horse did have a lot of potential, especially when we read from his POV, but Marie was such a simpering bottom feeder I couldn't take it. Literally wanted to bitch slap her so hard it would knock the trailer trash right off of her.


Stacia (the 2010 club) Your last sentence made me laugh hard. :)


message 35: by K.M. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.M. Galvin Hahaha *takes a bow,* I'll be here all week.


message 36: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ Great review!


Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Alicia!


message 38: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "Thanks Alicia!"

You mentioned everything that kept me from adding this one to my TBR list. I don't have the time to bother with books that are just going to piss me off LOL


message 39: by Searock (new)

Searock Wow, you give good review, chica! I am filled to the brim with informedness.


Stacia (the 2010 club) I give good other things too. *evil grin*

I suppose I should give you props for reading the review in its entirety. This was a long one, even for me. :p


message 41: by Searock (last edited Mar 01, 2013 09:15AM) (new)

Searock I didn't even skim, btw, so I'll take those props. However, this is a book I've been considering, so I appreciated all your comments.


Paula Thank you for this review. I thought I was the only one that just wanted to rip her hair out after reading the book.


Stacia (the 2010 club) She was frustrating, wasn't she? I hope the next book's female is easier to take.


Paula Marie was just so brainless. And a bit too hormonal for my taste. But Horse did not charm me much either. The book was greatly written, I just couldn't get into the motorcycle-sweet butts-property-macho stuff or feel any connection with the my-brain-sits-between-my-legs-morons of women.


Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm surprised you saw the picture at all. GR seems to be having issues displaying my photobucket pictures at the moment. I'll probably switch them over to imgur when I'm not lazy.

I can see why a lot of people love the book. I'm still going to be reading book 2 to see how it goes. :)


message 46: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy She was another total idiot female (kiera anyone) that I could not stand...I dnf'd the book, just couldn't take it anymore!!


Cristal (Professional Book Procrastinator) I thought I was the only one who got frustrated with Marie and her thought process or rather lack thereof...


Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh no. You are definitely not alone.

Katy wrote: "She was another total idiot female (kiera anyone) that I could not stand...I dnf'd the book, just couldn't take it anymore!!"

Kiera was horrible, I agree.


~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ Your review cracked me up - I thought you might appreciate the quote I had added to GR re texts:

“Marie's drunk texts:
Marie: Horse, muss yu
Marie: Why dont anser?
Marie: Horse like yur name. Horsey. I'd like to rid u horsey, LOL. You sleeping? Or busy with someone?
Marie: I know yur there. I bet you got a new gurl alredy. Screw you.
Marie: Screw you and your slut. I hate you. Take yur club and shove it up yur ass I wudn't be yoor old lady for ten milion dollrs.”

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/78485...

I mean 0-60 because he didn't pick up his phone. Geeez!


Stacia (the 2010 club) I had a friend when I was younger who was like that. If her man didn't answer the phone, she'd automatically assume the worst!

I would hate being that paranoid, or being in a relationship where the thought would even need to cross my mind.


« previous 1
back to top