Kirstie's Reviews > Obernewtyn

Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, pure-awesome, strong-female-characters, young-adult
Read 11 times. Last read March 17, 2018 to March 18, 2018.

Obernewtyn is the tale of Elspeth Gordie, an orphan with mutant powers she must keep a secret from everyone around her. In a post-apocalyptic world full of adults grappling for power where anyone different could be burned simply for what makes them different, how is a young woman to survive?

And then of course there's a prophecy (because what's a fantasy novel without a prophecy?).

Fair disclosure, I'm a long-time fan of this series re-reading it for my Australian speculative fiction authors challenge. I read the first three books during my teens (and you can totally blame Carmody for the fact I am a writer myself since hearing she wrote Obernewtyn during high school inspired me to try and take it up as a career) but due to life interfering with reading time(and a large gap between releases) never got around to finishing the series.

Elspeth is an intriguing character for me, primarily because she is so vastly different from me in many ways, but with a tiny kernel of similarity that resonated both with teen me and still somewhat with 30 year old me. Elspeth is a loner, partly by circumstance, but also a little by nature. It's hard not to be envious of her powers, and that was certainly something teen me dug about her.

The story moves at a good pace and paints an amazing world which you can't help but wonder whether the pre-apocalypse world was ours. I love the clever details of government and religion like the Council and the Herder Faction as well as the way the pre-apocalypse world bleeds into the post and effects it.

The ending is a wonderful promise of what the rest of the series will offer, but not in a too frustrating cliff-hanger sort of way.

I recommend the series for any lover of fantasy (young adult or otherwise) or anyone wanting to try fantasy but who wants to start with something great.

2018 re-read: still a great read. A story you see even more layers each time you read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obernewtyn.

January 24, 2013 – Started Reading