Maya Panika's Reviews > Osiris

Osiris by E.J. Swift

Occasionally derivative, (shades of China Mieville, I thought, maybe even a little bit of Philip K Dick), but nicely written, with some wonderful world building.
A city of glass, towers above the endless ocean. Some disaster has befallen the Earth and the people of Osiris believe they’re the last humans alive – though it seems that some of the city’s rulers have gone to a lot of trouble to ensure Osirans believe they’re the World's last people, making it virtual heresy to even question the matter.
There are a lot of secrets in Osiris, an urban fantasy-come-SF novel with a political slant – how does the world treat its refugees? Written from the point of view of two characters - rich, spoiled, thoroughly dislikeable Easterner Adelaide, and oppressed Easterner-woobie, Vikkram - Osiris is a tale of two cities, the slick, rich, glossy East and the abandoned West, home to refugees from the rest of the ruined Earth.
Osiris is slow to get going, the characters take a while to truly grow, but as it all begins to come together, as you come to know the – well rounded, shades-of-grey, very believable – characters, it becomes hard to put down. There are several plots that run together and none of them are completely resolved by the end (this is the first in a trilogy), but don’t let that put you off; this is a very engaging novel by a talented writer. I’m looking forward to seeing the loose ends tied up in the next instalment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Osiris.

January 24, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 14, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Georg (new)

Georg i think you're spoilering here.

Maya Panika Georg wrote: "i think you're spoilering here."
Really? Which bit? I haven't mentioned anything you don't already know by page 5.

message 3: by Georg (new)

Georg Okay, I was making assumptions. I haven't read the book, yet, but I will.