Katy's Reviews > Everbound

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Jan 24, 2013

Once again Brodi Ashton has written a book that incorporates an interesting tale of mythology that has me so emotionally invested and leaves me feeling helpless heartbroken. Ashton just has this way of surprising me in the end - even when I'm expecting it.

First of all, I'm not a fan of whiny main characters who wallows in self-pity. But Nikki didn't feel like one to me. I can't really explain why, but perhaps it's because Ashton had created such a sorrowful book with the first one or because of the whole mythological premise in the first place. Or maybe because she always had a determination to help Jack - despite the not-promising chances of finding Cole - or that she knows being his anchor is what is keeping him alive.

But I just think Ashton just has this way of making you become so emotionally absorbed that you really, really like someone or really, really hate someone - and I am sure a lot of readers are going to get some strong reactions with the latter. I'm not going to giver anything away, but c'mon now, you knew from the beginning, you can't help but suspect along the way, and you just had this uneasy feeling along the way. Despite it all, you just can't help but feel like you've been slapped in the face at the end. Wow. Just… wow!

The thing I really liked about this book was it didn't focus solely on Nikki and her quest to rescue Jack. While this was, of course, the main feature, I was really interested by the story of the queen. That was what really drove the book home for me because 1) some authors get so into their story - especially in intense books like this one that they forget that it's the supporting characters who help make a book strong and 2) it was totally unexpected that it turned out to be a major piece of the book.

So yeah, I did like the first book a tad bit more. But this book had more than enough merits to be great on its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everbound.

January 24, 2013 – Shelved
January 26, 2013 – Started Reading
January 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Bao (new)

Bao The first book made me cry.

Katy Yeah, I think hauntingly beautiful were the words I had used.

Ornella (Nyx) I have yet to read this series...

Katy You should if you like the whole Hades-Persephone story.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I need to re-read the first one. I remember liking it so much, but I don't remember the story! =0 I do remember her leaving, showing up a year later(?) after everyone thought she ran away, falling for a guy, then her jailer coming to try to get her back and the guy who fell for her taking her place. I can't even remember their names. =/

Katy Sam wrote: "I really didn't see the twist at [spoilers removed] coming... Ugh. Still recovering."

I had expected it because Ashton set it up for us to (view spoiler) BUT, after reading the novella, I do think there's more it than just that part.

Jessica wrote: "I need to re-read the first one. I remember liking it so much, but I don't remember the story! =0 I do remember her leaving, showing up a year later(?) after everyone thought she ran away, falling ..."

LOL, I felt that way as I was reading the novella, but it starts coming back to you a bit. And then when i started reading this one, a lot more came back to me. It still took me a little bit because I kept getting mixed up with this and other Hades/Persephone like stories.