Nick Black's Reviews > The Coming of the Third Reich

The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard J. Evans

Apr 04, 2009

Much better than the second book in the series, an expert, bone-rattling survey of the years prior to the Enabling Act. Excellent coverage of the Weimar's economic problems during the years of Versailles, the Young Plan and the hyperinflationary era. The preface is also noteworthy, explaining Evans's plan and answering (what seemed to me an important question) why these books are necessary despite epics like Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and Kerhsaw's biography Hitler.
-------
Borders 2009-04-04. I purchased and read the second in this series (The Third Reich in Power) before realizing it was a set; upon seeing the third in hardback (The Third Reich at War), I was moved to pick up this (much thinner) first volume. I wasn't overwhelmed by in Power, but I'll be dead in my grave before I leave non-trailing gaps in my reading, argh!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coming of the Third Reich.

April 4, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
April 8, 2009 – Finished Reading

Lewis Weinstein Evans also identifies the many opportunities Germans had to take a different path. I hope to show in my novel-in-progress (CHOOSING HITLER) how and why many political and religious leaders abdicated their responsibility