Nat's Reviews > Champion

Champion by Marie Lu

Jan 23, 2013

Spoiler-Free Review

I do love it when a good story comes along and tosses you around a bit, making you feel all sorts of emotions, and then leaves you feeling changed, maybe a little beaten and bruised, but stronger for it, too.

I don't know if that's how anyone else felt about this book, but since this is my review, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. But no worries, because this is a positive one anyway!

I have to admit, I picked up this book with fear and trepidation, especially after reading another book from another series that I loved. Although the other series ended well enough, I certainly didn't intend to feel as much loss and pain as I did.

So, knowing that a book can end in a way that you might not expect, or just plain not like, I was scared. Very scared, for both June and Day. No character is safe! No even the main ones!

However, I'm not just talking about death. There really are things worse than death when it comes to books, and if you're an avid reader, you will see that from time to time.

Anyway, on with the actual review.
The book, like the first two, is still told from the points-of-view of both Day and Jane in a back-and-forth way, which has been consistent with the series, which I did like. After reading so many series', it's nice to find cohesion and continuance all the way up to the final book, which, I have to admit, some authors don't grant us. Marie does that here, though, and I appreciate that.

That's also with the characters. Sometimes you see that characters might change from one book to the next without much explanation. Day and June are still Day and June. They still have the traits and fierceness and vulnerability that they've had in the beginning, and the side characters do as well. There might be the slight lack of change-of-heart for some characters that you may want to change, but the reasons for that are simple enough - people don't change their way of thinking as quickly in real life.

The introduction of some new characters and areas are not too expansive to where you feel lost. The focus is still maintained on the characters that we know and love as well as the situations that we're familiar with already. That's not saying there isn't growth in the world that Marie has created, because there certainly is, but she just doesn't overwhelm, or basically tease, you with what else is going outside of June and Day's perspective. She gives you enough glimpses of life outside of the Rebuplic and the Colonies to make it interesting for you, but still manages to contain the world enough to where you don't get confused.

The war and the politics and how this future is really makes sense to me. There's a lot of devices and things in there that we are familiar with and I can see how the future that Marie has created can be conceived from the politics and the technology and military of today's culture. What I like the most about this part is that there is not really one area or city or territory that is vastly superior to the others, although a case could be made about one certain territory in particular, but still, I'm sure there are flaws there as well. That might be one thing that the young adults could really learn from this book as far as countries go. Neither the Republic nor the Colonies are favored in the way the people are being treated in either society, and there's much to learn about that that could be seen in today's society.

Day and June. Oh, my dear Day and my dear June. There was nothing that they said or did that strayed away from what we already knew of them. They both harbor very strong feelings for each other. They both harbor strong doubts about the other and they both are challenged with the thought of whether they can even be together if they really wanted to. There was the established consequences of their past actions towards each other and their families, so of course, there's always that "elephant in the room" for these two. How Marie deals with that in this book is pretty amazing - both heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time.

I ended the book with tears in my eyes, from both sorrow and joy. Sorrow for what was lost, and joy for what was to come. I found hope again, too. It was earned in one of the most sacrificial ways possible. Deservedly so, I think. So, yes, I can see hope for a future that would fill in those losses with love and fulfillment.

And I thank Marie for making such a wonderful writing debut with this series. I can't wait for more from this author!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Champion.

January 23, 2013 – Shelved
November 5, 2013 – Started Reading
November 6, 2013 –
page 68
18.43% "Heart hurting already..."
November 7, 2013 – Finished Reading