Alysia's Reviews > Sugar

Sugar by Bernice L. McFadden

6320013

bookshelves: mgr-book-of-the-month

I had a hard time getting into this book in the beginning. I think I will blame it all on reader's burn out. All 100% of it. Because once I got into the book I jammed right though it. The story takes place in the Spring of 1940 small town Bigelow, Arkansas and opens with the gruesome murder of a 15 year old girl. I always have a hard time with gruesome and good writing. There are so many great writers out there telling some detailed violent, image burning stories that make you cringe as you read them. Is that good writing? I have no idea. Is the page turning to see what happens next similar to the neck turning on a freeway when you see an accident?
Back to the story. It's not all violent. The overall story is great and makes you question yourself if you have ever judged a person without knowing them. The good Christian ladies of Bigelow didn't even exchange one word with the "Whore" Sugar but they know for a fact that her presence in their town is not good. For them or their husbands.
Bernice McFadden wrote a great story giving voice to the many faces of Black women. She made them real and solid characters. Each woman unique and believable.
The story ended just the way I like a good read to end. There was just enough to want more but most of the ends were neatly wrapped up. But, personally a little revenge would have been icing on the cake. There were a few situations that were missing revenge and people not speaking their piece. But that is just me. I really liked it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sugar.

January 23, 2013 – Shelved