✿Sandra's Reviews > The Storyteller

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

bookshelves: home-shelf

I would give this 4 1/2 stars. This book had me thinking on so many different levels that it's hard for me to sum up my thoughts in a review. This quote sums up a lot of what this book had me thinking about - "not all Jews were victims and not all Germans were murderers." Reading Minka's story of the Holocaust really dives into that statement.

A quote from the book, "I do believe in people. In their strength to help each other, and to thrive in spite of the odds." Reading this book made me wonder if I would have been able to survive those terrible times. I can't imagine having your family members ripped away from you and then to try and carry on day-to-day under normal circumstances let alone horrific ones.

Forgiveness is also a big theme in this book. Another quote, "He doesn't deserve your love. But he does deserve your forgiveness, because otherwise he will grow like a weed in your heart until it's choked and overrun." If people that did horrible things during the Holocaust later turned their lives around and tried to do good, did they deserve to be forgiven, or should they have been condemned for the rest of their lives?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storyteller.

January 22, 2013 – Shelved
March 10, 2013 – Shelved as: home-shelf
March 31, 2013 – Started Reading
April 3, 2013 –
page 332
72.17% ""But not all Jews were victims-look at Chairman Rumkowski, who sat safe with his new wife in his cushy home making lists, with the blood of my family on his hands. And not all Germans were murderers. Look at Herr Fassbinder, who had saved so many children on the night that children were taken away." from page 273"
April 4, 2013 – Finished Reading