John Mcging's Reviews > The Famine Plot: England's Role in Ireland's Greatest Tragedy

The Famine Plot by Tim Pat Coogan

I'll be brief. The traditional view of the famine is easily found and read. Coogan takes a position that due to a combination of a free market political view, a concern over money and a world view rooted in a Protestant bias against Catholics that the result in dealing with the potato crop rotting was equivalent to genocide. Frankly, I agree. I don't think the bar is that high that the deeds of Trevelyn and his Whigs don't meet and exceed it.

What I find more pernicious is in reading some of the letters from these Whig leaders. Modernize the language and you'd have Paul Ryan and Tea Party saying "Amen". And the idea that a political world view that views humans as this one does is still potent 150 years later is disappointing.

This is a good book on the famine; it'll make you think. It's a good book on the conservative world view and may make you see it's parallels and echos in the modern world, often with equivalent results.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Famine Plot.

Started Reading