Michelle's Reviews > Sound Bites: A Rock & Roll Love Story

Sound Bites by Rachel K. Burke

First thing, download Jeff Buckley's album Grace

The book started a bit slow for me, but the mention of Jeff Buckley early on, and the take on the lack of quality in modern music had me hooked. This story could have easily just been pages of rants of the lack of talent and meaning of current artists and I would have given it 5 stars. I cried through my teenage heartache to this album. Last Goodbye was my official end of relationship anthem.

So the start of this had me worried, I was concerned that the start was going to be a high school romance, although I am just barely in my 30s - part of me feels too old for teen romance (well the part of my brain that remembers that I am a true living adult, that is). But it soon fast forwards through high school and college straight into a get your claws out moment.

This causes Renee, who uprooted to LA for school from Boston to find herself back home - and literally crashing into Dylan. Although Dylan does not come across overly hot - he has that skinny-soulful rocker look. I am hooked. Renee and Dylan form a friendship and before she knows it - she is in deep, but is it worth the risk of heart and friendship to reveal the truth? Damn straight it is.

The best part of this story is that it is still youthful and lacks the intense heart breaking rock n' roll drama that is typical of any story that has the word Rock Star or Band in the book's summary. There is drama, but it does not destroy your will to live or continue with the book. You ultimately don't end up disliking the characters, yelling obscenities into your e-reader or trying to figure out if throwing your e-reader against the wall is covered under your protection plan.

Overall, this was a very sweet romance. I was very pleased with the story and the book. It did not help that the theme of music was something I often scream at my radio as the most recent chart-topping-auto-tuned-product is playing. Seriously - do yourself a favor and listen to some Jeff Buckley - he is seriously underrated and the fact that we were given just a limited number of years to have had a chance to hear him is a real shame, but he left us with some amazing - real music.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sound Bites.

January 22, 2013 – Started Reading