CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > How Far the Light Reaches: A Life in Ten Sea Creatures

How Far the Light Reaches by Sabrina Imbler

I think my expectations for this book of hybrid memoir / essays was a bit too high, so I ended up being disappointed. Although I enjoyed both aspects of Imbler's writing -- science journalism about interesting sea creatures and personal stories about their queer identity and experiences -- the essays felt like two alternating threads that weren't well integrated.

I also thought thematically the connections between the sea creatures and Imbler's life didn't quite resonate. Although I loved the idea of combining these two disparate genres, the execution didn't work for me. That said, I learned a lot of cool stuff about the ocean and its inhabitants that I won't forget and I appreciated getting this information from a queer feminist mixed race perspective. I would have liked a book that was just that better, I think.

I read this as an audiobook, which was fine, but I might have appreciated the writing more in print. The author reads the book themselves, which made sense, but when someone who isn't a performer does an audiobook it's never as good as when someone who is does. It was cool to hear Imbler's smile and laugh sometimes when they read certain lines.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Far the Light Reaches.

December 1, 2022 – Shelved