Christianna Marks's Reviews > Mythology

Mythology by Helen Boswell

Jan 21, 2013

bookshelves: own-it, 2013-reads

You can read this review and many others at my YA book blog The White Unicorn

This book just went ahead and blew my mind. It didn't ask permission, it just did it. And I'm glad that it took me by surprise like it did. I feel like Hope in the book. She says this line... yeah this one...

"I'm totally blown away by this. I probably look like a comatose squirrel because I can't remember how to swallow my food."

Ok, so I wasn't eating when I was reading this, but who cares. That line is pure gold. Speaking of which I love the dialogue that Boswell created for her characters. Each one of the players in the story has a distinct voice that is all their own. You would know who is talking even if she didn't clue you in. It's witty, it's feisty and it's honest and that's a good mixture!

Hope is a very interesting character. Creating the oddness of the premise of the book from the get go. She sees people's deepest darkest secrets and the fact is they aren't ever pretty. After awhile you are happy to know that someone she sees only has a drug problem and not something more crazy going on. She's a strong one who gets thrust into some really crazy things and just kinda goes with the flow. Which totally works, because she's already had to deal with seeing the evil around her for years. So when some supernatural creatures appear, she's ready for it and it's believable. She's pretty awesome, if you ask me.

And Micah. I know that everyone loves Micah, at least everyone who's read the book. I'm just not sure I can throw up my arms and embrace him like that though. Don't get me wrong, I think his character is wonderful and well written, I just don't personally dig him. His self control blows me away though. And he's extremely sweet-ish. I loved watching him and Hope interact. Actually some of my favorite parts were when Micah and Jonathan interacted!

Speaking of Jonathan. I loved that guy to pieces. His quite, strange wit was such a contrast to all of the other characters and is one of the main reasons that made him stand out to me. Though all of the characters in Mythology are complex, I think Mr. Draper takes the cake on this one. Is seems like he's doing things in this book that he doesn't even understand and I hope (pun intended) that he is featured more in the next book!

And all of the secondary characters have a meaning and a place in the awesome world that Boswell has created! Each and every one of them. There are no throw away characters and that's so nice!

Story wise it is all of these characters and their journeys that are so awesome to read. The plot is intricate and twisted, but never confusing. Though I do have to admit that the pacing didn't always work for me. It didn't make me dislike the story in the least bit. Characters come in and out of the plot and build it under Boswell's careful watch! It is fundamentally a story that is built on relationships and surrounded by magic and mythical things that no one understands fully. That's were the wonder lies in Mythology!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mythology.

January 21, 2013 – Started Reading
January 21, 2013 – Shelved
January 21, 2013 – Shelved as: own-it
February 20, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm finally, actually reading Mythology now!"
February 21, 2013 –
0.0% "Goodness this book is so good already and I'm only a few chapters in!"
February 24, 2013 –
0.0% "Just got to chapter 13. I knew something was up..."
February 24, 2013 –
40.0% "Things are starting to get a little crazy in here and I like it!"
February 25, 2013 –
51.0% "Things are getting fishy. No people aren't growing fish tails, but still..."
February 25, 2013 –
62.0% "I'm getting near the end and I have no idea what is going to happen..."
February 26, 2013 – Finished Reading