Booknut's Reviews > Gameboard of the Gods

Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

'I am a soldier of the Republic. I do not serve my own will but that of my country. Those words were echoed by her mother's, spoken so many years ago: You can ignore the rest because you're better than them. Empty yourself of all feeling because if they can't see it, then they can't use it against you.'

Richelle Mead's story-weaving genius comes to life in her new series Age of X. Be prepared to fall head first into her futuristic world, filled with mystery, violence, stunning technology and tension bubbling just below the surface - be prepared to fall in love with a story, and a cast of characters, you will never forget.

'"We're all pieces on a game board, Dr. March, and some of us are more powerful than others. You. Me. Her. We're the ones the gods want. We're the ones they're fighting over."
"And I supposed you consider yourself the king on this board?"
"You must not have played chess in a while. The king is the weakest piece in the game." He gave Justin a level look. "The queen's the strongest."'

Meet Justin March: exile, genius, former investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims, notorious wine drinker, and charmer of the female demographic.

Meet Mae Koskinen: Nordic, beautiful, deadly and dedicated praetorian - a member of the military’s most elite and intimidating tier...a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

Neither, upon meeting the other, ever suspected how tightly bound their fates would become.

Mae, currently relieved of her duties, is sent to bring Justin back to RUNA - the Republic of United North America. But the chance to go back isn't as golden as it seems. There's a catch. Justin is assigned a difficult and dangerous task, to solve a string of ritualistic murders. To keep Justin safe, he is assigned a guard...who turns out to be none other than Mae. The girl who Justin has been told about - the girl involved in a strange prophecy of sorts.

A girl coveted by the gods. A girl he can never have.

'"The old guy said I'd only need one woman, and that the one he'd send me would mirror me in light and shadow, that I'd know her by a crown of flowers...He said she'd be carved of fire and ice, that she'd scorch me in my bed and live and die for me outside of it."

But solving the murders is no easy task. The clues are an incoherent jumble, no connections visible in the tangle of deaths, religious oddities and supernatural occurrences. Every lead seems to stop at an abrupt dead end. The deeper the duo delve into the mystery, the more exposed to danger they become.

And they only have four weeks to find the murderer and solve the case.

Mundane murderers and cults aren't Mae and Justin's only problems, though. Other forces are at work...old forces. Powerful forces. Ones that will do anything and everything to claim what is rightfully theirs, be that the world, or those upon it. Playing with fire may be dangerous, but playing on the chessboard of the gods is a whole other game...one that could cost them their lives.

What will the 'Age of X' entail for humankind? And are the gods closer than you think?

Mythology, romance and kick-ass adventure combine to create a vivid dystopian world that will sweep you away and have you hooked from the first page to the very last word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gameboard of the Gods.

January 21, 2013 – Shelved
March 5, 2013 – Started Reading
March 5, 2013 – Shelved as: to-die-for-book-covers
page 22
4.91% "'Death was clean on the battlefield, and there was no reason to dwell on what it meant. The kills were just mission objectives, and the people weren't really people at all. It was you or them. And when the fight was done, you could just walk away.'"
page 33
7.37% "'In the mirror she saw her friends exchange troubled glances behind her. It's worse than I thought, Val seemed to be saying. Dag's expression said he was in agreement but didn't entirely know how to handle it. Snapping a neck, lifting weights, donut eating contests. Those were his comfort zone. Therapy? Less so. '"
page 74
page 110
24.55% "Our heroine at the moment upon discovering 'Huan' is actually Justin:\n
"
page 110
24.55% ""...You loaded up on stimulants in the morning." Her contempts was nearly tangible(...)it made him feel...unworthy.\n Did I do anything I shouldn't have? he asked the ravens.\n Overdosing? suggested Horatio.\n You know what I mean.\n You propositioned her, replied the raven.\n Did I? Justin didn't remember that. (...)\n You were very eloquent, said Horatio. A real poet. "
page 171
38.17% ""What are you staring at?"\n When Tessa said nothing, one of Melissa's friend nudged her. "Forget it, Mel. Look at her. She didn't even understand what you said."\n "I can understand bitchiness in any language," she said. A few seconds later, she added, "Do you need me to repeat it more slowly?" (...)\n Melissa's face said that she had indeed understood. "Who are you calling a bitch?"\n "Who do you think?" asked Tessa."
page 319
March 6, 2013 – Shelved as: heartbreak-and-loss
March 6, 2013 – Shelved as: mythology
March 6, 2013 – Shelved as: strong-and-kickass-heroines
March 6, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna !

message 3: by Ange (new)

Ange I love Richelle Mead's books... is this one good so far?

Booknut Ange wrote: "I love Richelle Mead's books... is this one good so far?"

Very engaging so far! :)

message 5: by Ange (new)

Ange Booknut wrote: "Ange wrote: "I love Richelle Mead's books... is this one good so far?"

Very engaging so far! :)"

Yay =)

message 6: by Anushka (new)

Anushka Wow..did you receive an ARC?
I love Richelle's books ad waiting desperately for it!

message 7: by Booknut (last edited Mar 05, 2013 02:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Booknut Anushka wrote: "Wow..did you receive an ARC?
I love Richelle's books ad waiting desperately for it!"

Yep, I received an ARC. I'm so excited to get into this series - it is addictive and amazing...very, very hard to put down!

message 8: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna again, !

Booknut Anna C. wrote: "again, !"

*smiles* I totally understand! And the book was so, so good - Richelle is an amazing author :)

message 10: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna I know! She's awesome! I can not wait for this! And yes, punctuation is needed because it's Richelle Mead! Looking forward to what you think. :)

Booknut Anna C. wrote: "I know! She's awesome! I can not wait for this! And yes, punctuation is needed because it's Richelle Mead! Looking forward to what you think. :)"

Well, my review is up, so I hope my sneak peeks into it will keep you satisfied until it comes out!

message 12: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Playing with fire may be dangerous, but playing on the chessboard of the gods is a whole other game...

Love it! Love the quotes, and I'm excited to meet this new set of characters she created.

Booknut Thanx!! And you'll love the characters - they're full of life and truly amazing :)