Faith Freewoman's Reviews > Every Secret Thing

Every Secret Thing by Susanna Kearsley

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Faith by: reading Named of the Dragon and other Kearsley books
Recommended for: romance and spy thriller readers, especially WWII spy enthusiasts
Read 4 times. Last read January 1, 2010.

I never cry. Well, except for when I read this book or Kathleen Eagle's "Sunrise Song."

Honestly, even now, the 4th or 5th time I've read Every Secret Thing, I spent the last 1/4 of the book at least bawling my eyes out.

And now I'm doing the other thing I always do: immediately re-reading it so I can sit back and admire just how cleverly Kearsley built the story, laid the clues, and made me fall completely in love with a character who was only 'on screen', so to speak, for about 5 minutes.

World War II spy stories have always fascinated me, and this one approaches the legend called Intrepid and all that was accomplished under his aegis from a new direction, and takes us to the dangers of Lisbon at the height of the war.

Kearsley makes such powerful and poignant points about ageism that it seemed to me to be one her pivotal reasons for telling this story, and structuring it the way she did.

And for anyone who enjoyed the character of Tom Beckett in Kearsley's book 'Mariana,' he has a cameo in this story, and contributes important wisdom gleaned from his sister's experiences in 'Mariana.'

WARNING & SPOILER FOR ROMANCE READERS: This is a tender, touching and poignant love story, but it is NOT a romance. There is deeply satisfying resolution, and justice, but no HEA for either protagonist. There is, toward the end, a tantalizing possibility for her, but ... It's not a probability at the end of the book, at least.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Secret Thing.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
Started Reading
January 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
March 1, 2012 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
March 3, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
November 1, 2012 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
January 21, 2013 – Shelved
July 19, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Anna I also "fell in love" with Andrew Deacon, and all the ordinary looking intelligent men like him who honored others, did their duty to their country and yet lost their own life's happiness.

Faith Freewoman Anna wrote: "I also "fell in love" with Andrew Deacon, and all the ordinary looking intelligent men like him who honored others, did their duty to their country and yet lost their own life's happiness."

Exactly, Anna! Makes me tear up just to think about him...and I haven't read the book in ages. Guess what I'm going to do soon? Thanks for the comment, and for reminding me it's time to read it again...Cheers, Faith