Karson's Reviews > The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom

The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haidt

liked it
bookshelves: psychology

The short conclusion at the end of this book was really good. I wish the rest of the book stuck to the author's concise summary a little bit better. In some of Haidt's best advice within the whole book he says, "Just as plants need sun, water, and good soil to thrive, people need love, work, and a connection to something larger." He adds, "You have to get the conditions right, and then wait." There are a lot of other good insights in the book, but I find them to be burried in piles of other not-so-compelling somewhat dry information. I would prefer something a little more contemplative. Something that quotes the ancient wisdom, but doesn't add as much commentary.
Haidt has another insight that jives closely with an insight in another book I reviewed called, "Finding Clarity" by Jeru Kabbal. Basically the observation is that humans are like icebergs. There is a little portion that sticks above the water that we are aware of and in control of, and then there is a huge mammoth of a hunk of ice under the water that we are not aware of or in control of. We would like to think that our awareness steers our ship, but, in truth, it is the huge portion hidden under the water that directs our actions and hardens them into habits that become the building blocks of our personality. The most we can do is become aware of our subconscious selves, accept it for what it is, respect it, and work with it. Twas a good book, if you are willing to wade through some dryness to get to the good stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Hypothesis.

Finished Reading