Alexia Purdy's Reviews > Forged by Greed

Forged by Greed by A.O. Peart

bookshelves: indie-inked, own, so-can-t-wait-to-read, some-sort-of-paranormal, shifters, reviewed

*Possible spoilers* Just sayin!
This story follows Jasmira and Jatred two royals just living their teen lives. Jasmira is the princess of the Summer Shifters, ruled by a Goddess whose name is Amber. Jatred is the prince of the Winter Shifters, ruled over by the Goddess Crystal. Both Jasmira and Jatred are destined to be Queen and King of their respective races, but a twist of fate has them in love with each other, something that is forbidden by both races and their Goddesses.

Both races have come to critical point in the exchange of power between them. An amulet created by Crystal must be transferred to the Amber’s shifters as agreed upon thousands of years ago. But Amber isn’t satisfied with just the exchange of the amulet, she wants more, and she’s willing to use Jasmira and Jatred and their love as her unwilling pawns in a scheme that could destroy them all.

What I liked: There was a ton of world building to achieve the evolution of this story along with the intense task of characterization of a huge cast of characters, details and even weaponry which was done well. I loved how the teens seemed very at ease with each other, regardless if they were winter or summer shifters. The Winter shifters can turn into wolves, while the summer shifters turn into leopards. I loved how they could communicate without speaking and seemed to embrace their shifting abilities without a second’s thought. They also were fiercely protective of the regular humans, but humans did not play a huge role in this book.

What I didn’t like: It was definitely not easy to read through it all and make sense of it until later on in the story, where all the loose ends were tied. I also highly suggest reading the prequel to this book before you read this one, it’s called ‘Forged by Magic: Origins’ and it explains a lot more background than couldn’t be crammed into this story, but helped explain a lot of the Goddess’ actions more clearly. The enormous cast of characters was fun to read about, but their exact roles were often overlooked or dismissed just as quickly as they were introduced, which left me a little confused. Not quite sure yet what Savannah’s role was in all of it, but she seemed to be important, but we don’t find out why.

Would I recommend it? Yes. If you like attention to detail and high fantasy made for teens with an entirely different take on Goddesses, realms, magic and shifters, you’d love this. I really loved the mythos and background of the summer and winter shifters. It’s an alternative reality that took an interesting look at earth’s past Deities and included a nice twist of the Romeo and Juliet tale. If you like paranormal fantasy adventures with intricate world building, shifters and lots going on in it, this is it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forged by Greed.

January 20, 2013 – Shelved