Racysteed's Reviews > The Witch's Daughter

The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston

liked it

I feel like this author has a lot of potential, but it wasn't quite realized in The Witch's Daughter. The characters were compelling, yet I consistently found myself wanting more: more depth, more backstory, more understanding of their motivation. Ms. Brackston has a talent for creating characters who draw the reader in and I really enjoyed the beginning and the diary entry format. Even the flashbacks worked for me, although it's becoming a worn format at this point. However, she undermined her story by either wrapping up each plot point a bit conveniently while alluding to struggles that the reader doesn't experience firsthand. I feel compelled to add *****spoiler alert*****
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
that if another author feels the need to connect her/his story to an historical moment - especially Jack the Ripper - I may need to call upon the Dark Arts myself. It shows a lack of imagination and is lazy. This book would have been much better if it had skipped that interlude and concentrated on the other relationships. I'm to believe that an all-powerful being, pursuing another supernatural, would think that gruesome murders will strengthen his appeal? Try again, Ms. Brackston. You can do better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch's Daughter.

January 19, 2013 – Started Reading
January 20, 2013 – Shelved
January 20, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Racysteed Obviously, I am far behind on reading & reviewing, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone. That section completely took me out of the narrative.