Harry Lane's Reviews > From Adam to Noah-The Numbers Game: Why the Genealogy Puzzles of Genesis 5 and 11 Are in the Bible

From Adam to Noah-The Numbers Game by Leonard Timmons

This is a difficult book. Mr. Timmons shows how the genealogies of the patriarchs and the story of the flood conceal a complete and accurate calendar. Having done so, he argues the purpose of the bible has been, to some extent, misunderstood. He posits that the people of the time would have used this material to identify those having insight, and to train them in that skill. He then proceeds to a discussion of the relationship of insight, knowledge and understanding. From that point, he begins a remarkable dissertation interpreting the scripture from that perspective.

I have long been convinced the divide between science and religion in modern society is most often the result of at least one misapprehension. In the first place, they are concerned with two totally different aspects of life. The second is one Mr. Timmons addresses very effectively. We attempt to understand the bible in terms of our culture, rather than that of those who lived in those times, and therefore fail to realize the degree to which the writings, in fact, aligned with science as it was then practiced.

In the course of his discussion, Mr. Timmons offers a number of thought-provoking views. You may or may not agree with him, but if you follow his argument, I can almost guarantee you will never again read the bible with the same understanding you had before.

I received a free copy from Goodreads First reads.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Adam to Noah-The Numbers Game.

Started Reading