All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Damn Him to Hell

Jan 20, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-kate, earc

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

DAMN HIM TO HELL, the second book in the Saturn's Daughter series, is a fun, different urban fantasy in that there aren't any vampires or werewolves, and some of the weirdness is explained by chemicals, not any kind of magic. We still have the standard heroine with special powers kicking ass and taking names, but the setting and other aspects provide enough of a twist that it isn't too cliche.

At the end of the first book Justine, aka Tina, is just discovering her powers as a daughter of Saturn and the cost of using them. I liked that Tina is a recent graduated from law school who places a high amount of importance on smarts over any magic powers that show up. However, this also leads to my problem with her in this book. She spends an inordinate amount of time wondering about the nature of good and evil, and when she uses her powers, if what she is doing is either. I understand the introspection in small doses, but I felt like it just kept coming up, and it is the same dilemma every single time - nothing changed, she just thought about it again. I would have liked to see her come to some sort of conclusion or make peace with herself about the powers instead of just philosophizing about the nature of good or evil.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed re-visiting the Zone. As in the first Saturn's Daughter book, there are a lot of great secondary characters including the unofficial mayor of the Zone, Andre. Andre is a bit of an enigma, and I have a feeling he is going to keep developing as the series continues. There's a lot of great sexual tension between Tina and Andre and I really want to see how it plays out. It's an enjoyable diversion. Most of the other characters are also multifaceted and well written. We have the other daughter of Saturn, Sarah, who also happens to turn into a chimp every so often, and Paddy, the questionably crazy scientist who works at the chemical company and nobody can be sure whose side he's on.

DAMN HIM TO HELL is a fun read. While I would enjoy it if the demon aspects of the book were a bit better integrated with the chemical strangeness in the Zone, I still see a lot of potential for how it can be used in the future and I think it is a good mash up. I'm definitely going to pick up book three to see where Tina is headed, since I'm invested in her and her growth as she discovers even more about what it means to be a daughter of Saturn. Hopefully she'll stop the internal debates and just go for it a little more the next time around.

Sexual content: Kissing, references to sex

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damn Him to Hell.

06/29/2013 marked as: read