D's Reviews > Point of Dreams

Point of Dreams by Melissa Scott

bookshelves: series, favorites, fantasy, main-characters-are-queer

I gave this three stars the first time around, I don't know what's wrong with me tbh.

I guess it has to do with not having read the first book before this one, and had a hard time understanding the world-building. You don't need to have read Point of Hopes before reading Point of Dreams, but it would certainly help in better appreciating Astreiant.

I'm really in love with this series, you have no idea.

Dreams start with Rathe as the Senior Adjunct Point for Point of Dreams, the part of Astreiant where the theatres are. Funnily enough, Eslingen gets fired from Caiazzo's employ and gets a job with the Masters of Defence--the same people who help theatre groups with the fight scenes in plays.

We also find out that Rathe and Eslingen started doing the do off-cam (how dare they) and decided to stop doing the do off-cam, as well. This has to do with Eslingen being Caiazzo's knife, an obstacle that they get around when Caiazzo let Eslingen go.

Dreams is not as much based on astrology as the first book was, being based more on how theatres work and the language of flowers. It's still very much interesting, and I love seeing the different courts at work. One of the things I love about this series is that you get a good look at both the higher classes (although not exactly court life, because that's way above the protagonists' stations) and at the lower ones and it's all normal, you know? Rathe, as a pointsman with some interestingly powerful friends, knows how to go around people with money and people without.

Also more interaction between Rathe and Eslingen, although without the whole smouldering looks and steamy sex scenes. I read someone say the characters almost feel sexless, but Idk. Their banter is sexy enough for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point of Dreams.

January 20, 2013 – Shelved