Rachael's Reviews > A Million Little Pieces

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** I’m sure the controversy over this book has tainted my read, but I genuinely disliked it. I found it plodding and repetitive. “I walk to my room. I open the door…I take off my clothes walk to the Bathroom turn on the shower get under the water wash myself.” I feel like this minutiae makes up 25 percent of the book. Any good editor would have cut. And what is up with the random capitalizations? Lack of quotes around dialogue? No indent for paragraphs? It was driving this former copy editor crazy!

The book read like a screenplay, and a bad one at that. Even if there hadn’t been public charges that Frey made up some of it, it wouldn’t have been believable to me. For example, the way Michelangelo died and his dying words to Leonard sounded like it was ripped off from a bad movie. And every woman Frey encounters is model-beautiful…as if we should believe these tall, thin women with Arctic and water-blue eyes would be with such a loser schlump like him? And the way he swoops in and saves Lilly…a bad Hallmark movie scene. Everything is wrapped up just a little too neatly. Frey makes himself out to sound like such a bad-ass tough guy. The documentation The Smoking Gun found proves him wrong.

I’m just so mad at what a bad name he gives to memoir.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Little Pieces.

October 12, 2022 – Started Reading