Brad's Reviews > Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 8: Devils

Aug 25, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: marvel, comics
Read in August, 2007

Carey's Ultimate FF still isn't as good as Mark Millar, but I do like his Ultimatized Diablo the Alchemist. Diablo was a character I never quite understood, and always seemed to be a weak Dr. Doom (except he used alchemy instead of science). Ultimate Diablo is a 15th-century Italian alchemist that all the other alchemists realize is up to no good, so they cover his tower with rocks. Somehow (alchemical magic!) Diablo captures the FF's closest relatives, so the team travels back in time to fight him. Not the most sensible story, but it's pretty enjoyable, especially if you ignore the language barriers, which Carey barely tries to explain.
The art shifts between Scott Kolins and Mark Brooks, who both have similar cartoony styles that I didn't notice the difference too much. I think Brooks handled most of the 15th-century art, while Kolins drew the present. Whoever draws Diablo does a good job showing him as a goateed villain.
Tacked on is Ultimate FF Annual #2, which gives the back story of Ultimate Mole Man. The art shifts between Stuart Immonen and Frazier Irving, and is definitely the best part of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 8.