Kat Hooper's Reviews > Blood of the Fold

Mar 31, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook
Read in January, 2005

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

This review refers to the SOT series through book 9.

Terry Goodkind’s first book Wizard’s First Rule was great! Except for the actual First Rule ("People are Stupid"), which was...stupid. The story had so many unique and fascinating characters (especially the secondary ones). I was in love with Richard; I wanted to be a Mord-Sith. The next couple of books of The Sword of Truth were pretty good, too.

Then...I don’t know what happened...it just TOTALLY lost it. The writing style became incredibly annoying and Richard was getting WAY too preachy (constant Ayn Rand-ish humanistic ranting). But, I kept going because I was really invested by this time. And each time I bought one of his $25 hardback books, I found myself rolling my eyes at every passive sentence and starting to fall asleep during the sermons (when did Richard hire a speech writer??).

And the plot really got ssslllllloooowwww (just look at the book covers for Chainfire and Phantom — you can tell we're not going anywhere). But the weirdest thing is that I kept buying these 1 star books! I can’t explain my behavior, except to say that Terry Goodkind is (was) a master at plot and characterization (truly, his secondary characters are so well done). So I kept thinking that things would get better, but they did not. How did he pull off that excellent first booK?? I've learned from this experience that I can put down a book if it's not good. There's too much good literature to read.

According to Mr Goodkind, those of us who have bailed out are ignorant and uneducated. Wow. That is something I have never been called before. I should have realized right from the start ("Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid") what kind of fellow Terry Goodkind is. Here is a quote from a chat session conducted with Mr Goodkind (this used to be on his website, but has now been removed. It is well-documented on the internet, however.):

"Why would they continue to read books they claim are bad? Because they hate that my novels exists. Values arouse hatred in these people. Their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good — much like a school child who does not wish to study for a test and instead beats up a classmate who does well. These people hate what is good because it is good. Their lives are limited to loathing and indifference. It isn't that they want to read a good book, what they want is to make sure that you do not. Ignore them." —Terry Goodkind

I say Terry Goodkind is the one acting like a school child having a tantrum. I regret that he got so much of my money. I hope you won't give him any of yours. If you really want to try a Goodkind book, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out the first few, and then trust me that you don't need to read any further. I will not read the last book. I'm not even tempted. What an ass.

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood of the Fold.

Joshua Silverman I totally agree!

Tiffany Landers Have You Heard? I'm thankful for your review. I loved his first book, and I still like the second and third, but I keep wanting to just stop reading te series, but afraid I'll miss the best. Now, I won't feel deprived.

Ryan Duffy I'm on the 3rd book right now and have noticed the definite decline in actual plot development. It's almost like he realized the series was a good idea so he started to purposely slow things down just to milk it.

sologdin the bit about hating-the-good-because-it's-the-good is lifted directly from rand, without attribution, no surprise!

Brian Brechner I agree with what you're saying, but I am hooked on the story. I just started reading Temple of the Winds, and I now realize it is the Mord-Siths that keeps me buying more of Goodkind's books. I find pleasure in Berdine's (Richard's favorite? lol) relationship with Richard since the death of Denna! The way Kahlan deals with the sisters of the Agiel is timeless. It more than makes up for the times I fell asleep! To be truthful, I fell asleep more with the Hunger Games, honestly!

King Possum I must say it was a very honest review. I am about to read temple of the wind and am looking forward to it. I only buy used books so if I do not like it hardly any money is lost.I figure everyone is different so I will most likely enjoy the whole series. I do respect the very honest review you gave though KAT.

Reptaaa The only way I can "read" Goodkind's books is by text-to-speech on my original Kindle. If I even glance at his writing I start to rage at his bad craft. Alas, I'm in for the long haul since although I know his books are crap, I love the characters and concepts (See me also keeping up with the Anita Blake series). At least my dear Kindle's robo-voice can act as a sort of buffer.

Scott This review would have been much better without the last paragraph. But I appreciate it anyway...both honest and informative; gives credit where credit is due and criticism where it is warranted.

Denis Sbarcea Good review, you made a good point! I first watched the tv show and got hooked on the lore, and as a fantasy fan I wanted to learn more about it. But then I read the first book. It had a few parts where I would get annoyed at his writing and character development, but I said to myself: "it's not that bad, at least the antagonists are well done..." the second book was the same as the first in my point of view. these days I took on the perilous adventure of reading the third book, and now that I have only a few pages left, I wonder whether I should risk continuing the journey. Your review reminded me what a cretin Mr. Goodkind is and now I'm convinced I shouldn't waist my time with this series. It is a matter of tastes after all, and I have to admit that there are parts that I really enjoy reading( that's why I granted high ratings for the first 2 books ;which I now regret and will probably change), but from a literary perspective the books really lack a lot of things and are poorly written.