Alyce (At Home With Books)'s Reviews > The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Jan 18, 2013

This has to be one of the books that I brought up in conversation more than any other while I was reading it. I learned that you want be careful how you bring this topic up though, otherwise you might risk offending people. They’ll think that you’re implying that they’re psychopaths.

You know, like when you mention something like “Hey psychopaths don’t dream very often.” Then thoughtlessly add, “That’s funny, you don’t dream very often.”

And nothing wins you brownie points like saying, “You know that relative of yours? After reading this book I’ve noticed they show some traits of a psychopath.”

The good news for hypochondriacs though? Evidently if you are worried about being a psychopath then you aren’t one. Good to know, huh?

Seriously though, this book was informative, interesting and a little bit scary. It wasn’t just filled with facts (like how there’s a much higher percentage of psychopaths in important corporate positions than in the general public), there were also intimidating tidbits (like how the recidivism rate actually went up for psychopaths who were treated with therapy).

And of course there was the actual checklist test. I’m pretty sure I was driving my husband crazy by pointing out psychopathic traits of characters on the TV and in movies. I’m very surprised that my summation of Voldemort’s psychopathic characteristics didn’t earn me an eye-roll.

If you like to analyze the people around you then you will have a lot of fun with this book. There isn’t an abundance of scientific information here. It is more a tale of the author’s quest to find out what makes a person a psychopath, and of the interesting people he met along the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Psychopath Test.