Michael Rank's Reviews > Shiny Happy People

Shiny Happy People by R.E.M.

did not like it
bookshelves: animals, empowerment, friendship, picturebooks

This book is terrible and quite possibly the worst picture book I've read in a long time. R.E.M. is my favorite band and wrote plenty of great songs that could be used for a picture book. But using a song with no real story, and almost entirely made up of the chorus, "Shiny happy people holding hands, shiny people holding hands, shiny people laughing" makes the book impossible to follow. You have to rely on the pictures to tell the story, and the pictures only occasionally match up to what's going on.

Besides the two main characters, there are zero Shiny Happy People in the book until the last page. Page after page the rabbits hate the child wolf. Adult wolves show up and everything gets even worse. It's only when the wolves and rabbits are forced to share a lunch and coffee that the shiny happy "people" appear.

The words have NOTHING to do with the story being told. Why is the book about rabbits and wolves when the title literally says PEOPLE?

There are 16 of these Lyricpop books using artists like Black Francis (There Goes My Mind), Ric Ocasek (Good Times Roll), and Dee Snider (We're Not Gonna Take It). Unless the other books are 100% better this feels like a soulless cash grab using the artists' names to draw in the fans to buy these books.

This book was reviewed from a review copy sent to me

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiny Happy People.

November 10, 2022 – Started Reading