Joanna Compton-Mys's Reviews > Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Mar 30, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-partial-list

Although I have heard many of David Sedaris' works read by the author, I still have to say that the first selection in this audio collection is one of my favorites. Entitled "The Santaland Diaries" it is funny in a voyeuristic sort of way, in the way it is hard to look away when there is a "scene" in public. The funny of a man reduced to wearing a green velvet suit and playing an elf while working at Macy's in New York City. Sedaris gives the reader (or in this case, the listener) this as a gift for the holidays: The idiosyncrasies and predictability of human nature, all wrapped up in the shiny bow of the retail Santa experience.

Be warned, however, that some of the other selections deal with some disturbing subject matter and may not be suitable for everyone. I personally found the remaining stories to be funny and I especially liked Sedaris' use of the unreliable narrator in "Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family," although she was a truly despicable human being.

The remaining stories are just as funny, and I highly recommend them with the aforementioned caution that the subject matter may not be to everyone's liking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays on Ice.