Joseph's Reviews > Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor

Mar 30, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: star-wars
Read from October 06 to 12, 2010

** spoiler alert ** A few words can describe this book as I was reading this and after it was done. Disappointing, Weird, Ok, Funny and maybe Good. It was kind of all of that.

I will start with the basics without giving away too much of the book. This happens about a year or so after Return, Luke is a General, which he doesn't want to be, but he is invistaging Mindor, where there are Imperials still. He gets in trouble and the whole gang (Han, Liea, Lando, Chewie, and Wedge, who seem to be in almost every book now) come to help out and save the day. There is a new bad guy, who is supposed to have more power then the Emperor, Vadar or Luke. If you want to know what happens I will let you read it.

What I liked about it:
Leia's, Chewie (He actually did more then just growl or hang out. He was fighting and was doing Wookie things) and Han's characters. They were pretty much from the movies we know and they hadn't changed (unlike the book The Courtship of Princess Leia, don't get me started...). Lando was ok in also. The story itself or how it flowed was ok. The comedy tone was good.

What I didn't like about it:
Luke's character. He was ok for the most part, but then at the end his comment that he didn't want to use his lightsaber or kill anyone anymore was dumb. There were a few other moments like that. Did Stover not read any of the other books that were written before him and set after his book? I get the whole peace thing, I am Jedi blah blah, but he sounded more like Superman. He was just wishing washing. His comedy tone was ok though. And I got the book because I sort of thought it was about Luke and maybe an adventure for himself, but the whole gang was there. Not that I mind it, but just wish the story was about him and maybe his quest on Jedi training or something. And for beign a Jedi it seems like Luke is always rescued by someone else. Maybe Stover watched too many of the episodes 1-3 or the Clone Wars, but I just wish Luke could kick butt for once. I haven't read all the ST's books, but I wish he just dominated in 1 of them. Just like I am Luke and bad guys are going to die. The character Nick was annoying after a while, he told too many jokes. There were the too many "I have a bad feeling about this. Don't tell me the odds, etc." Lastly, which is becoming a far too much trend in these books is that there is this person that is more powerful then the Emperor or Vadar. I get the galaxy is big, but for 1 book please don't make the bad try to be that way. If he was that powerful and such then why wasn't he there for the Battle at Endor with the Emperor? Just saying...

I have a feeling Stover is going to do 2 more books that are like Luke Skywalker and the whatever as title. You will see in the book by it is called that. I guess he is trying to make a joke of things.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

10/06/2010 page 107