Julie G's Reviews > Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences

Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog by Kitty Burns Florey

bookshelves: education

Writing
Very well done. Florey manages to combine just the right amount of wit and humor into a potentially dry subject. I get that not everyone is as fascinated with sentence diagrams as I am, but they hold a special place in my heart because they are both logical and fun to figure out and also because of Dr. Susan Wink's Advanced Grammar class in college. Florey does the subject justice, and her writing style is a pleasure to read.

Entertainment Value
Here's where you might get lost. I was absolutely in love with every word of this book - but I love diagramming sentences. I've had this book on my TBR forever and I'm so glad I finally picked it up over spring break (yes, that's how far behind I am on reviews). That said, I think there's a limited appeal when you're dealing with non-fiction about grammar. I, for one, devoured it, but I think those who aren't as excited about grammar as I am may have more issues with the entertainment value.

Overall
It's a must read for grammar fans and word nerds. Those who are fans of language, linguistics, and grammar must give it a try. But if you're not a huge fan of the technical aspects of language or writing, it may not be an ideal read as it delves into the more detailed aspects of grammar and usage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog.

March 30, 2009 – Shelved