Liz's Reviews > The Great Divorce

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

F 50x66
Mar 30, 2009

Almost without exception, whatever CS Lewis writes is fine with me. The Great Divorce is my 2nd favorite CS Lewis book (I am not counting the Narnia series), and what I thought was most interesting about it was the people who were in hell did not know they were in hell. This is a familiar concept to me, I remember my dad and his minister friends discussing it. It was also interesting that people didn't get to heaven in the way they thought they would.

Obviously, no one has actual answers for these types of questions. But CS Lewis comes close as I can see to having answers, without turning his vision into some Chicken Soup For the Soul self-help bull crap that is corny while being extremely boring to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Divorce.

05/20/2016 marked as: read

Teresa Well put, Liz! Those were the most powerful themes to me, too--they were so content with their hell.

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Aren't we all content with our hell, Teresa? :)

Christin I just read and loved this book, it was so intreging to me and I kept thinking...wow, that was powerful but subtle. I loved this book. What is your favorite CS Lewis book Liz?

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz My favorite is Til We Have Faces. It's a retelling of a Greek myth, but it's actually about what we put ourself through internally when we feel we've done something wrong (at least, that's what I think it is). Then followed by the Great Divorce and then the Narnia series, which I still love. My dad's favorite is Surprised by Joy, which is about his conversion to Christianity.