Sharon L Norris's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Recommended to Sharon L by: My daughter
Recommended for: Vampire Fans

I must have literally been the last woman on earth to actually read this book. As an aspiring YA author and published children's book author, I wanted to see how Stephenie Meyer channelled the voice of the teenage Bella Swan in first person so I could compare it with the styles and devices I'm attempting to use in my own YA work. I wasn't disappointed. It was a good read.

Some of my writing colleagues have slammed Meyer's writing style, her voice, indeed, most things about the book. I quite liked her writing style and her voice. Her tale of 'vegetarian' vampires living amongst the small community of perpetually fog-ridden Forks, and the almost medieval 'forbidden love' story of a vampire and a human was engaging. It was intriguing. The opening line had me hook, line and sinker - which all good books aim to do.

The one thing I didn't like about the book was the development of the female lead - Bella Swan. She's the quintessential, gothic-tragic, hopeless heroine whose own clumsiness is used to explain away life threatening injuries she sustains at the end of the novel - a poor plot device that disempowers the character beyond belief. The level of 'protection' she receives in the novel from other characters like Edward Cullen is just ridiculous.

It's disappointing to see thousands of girls looking up to Bella as a role model when she is not one at all. Not in my mind. We're living in the 21st Century and it's high time that female characters from the 1950s - wimpy, uninspiring, helpless, and unable to achieve anything at all without a MAN on their arm - were relegated to that place in history and banned from ever reappearing.

A kind soul gave me the remaining novels for Christmas. I hope to get through them by next Christmas. I also hope that as the saga progresses, Bella develops into something more than the disappointing stereotype she is in this novel. For her own sake, if nothing else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

October 12, 2012 – Started Reading