Gina G.'s Reviews > Elsker

Elsker by S.T. Bende

F 50x66
Jan 16, 2013

In Elsker we follow Kristia Tostenson to Cardiff University in Wales. Kristia is a small town girl with big dreams. Her first meeting with Ull isn't exactly pleasant. In fact he's pretty rude, but with god-like good looks who really cares right? Kristia doesn't expect to see him again but fate brings them back together. Kristia has her reservations about Ull, especially since his roommates are just as flawless. But after a few intense dates including a long awaited overnight trip to Ull's private country cottage, the two realize they've been marked for each other. Quite literally.

But blossoming love never stays perfect for long. Kristia slowly begins discovering how different Ull really is. She has a hard time swallowing the fact that he's the Norse God of Winter. Meeting the in-laws would mean being introduced to Thor himself and Kristia isn't his ideal future daughter-in-law. Meanwhile, enemy forces set a plan into play to bring about the foretold battle of Ragnarok, the battle said to end Asgard's rule. Ull is torn between his mortal love and his immortal responsibilities. He's forced to choose, but Kristia becomes more involved in the fate of Asgard than anyone could have predicted . . . minus one outlawed prophetess.

I'm going to be honest. I fell in love with Kristia from page one. Her determination to experience the world and reach outside her comfort zone was something I could really relate to. Ull was impeccably written, along with all the other characters. Every scene was set up with perfection, allowing me to dive into Kristia's world with ease. The fantasy element was also very well done. S.T. Bende really has a knack for world building and her love of teas, cakes, and Norse mythology comes out in the story. I especially loved reading about Olaug. Pieces of her were like my own grandma. And surprise, the recipe for her famous Norsk waffles are on the last page! I've already tried them.

As for the romance, Elsker had just the right amount of steaminess to leave me satisfied. This love story was tastefully written. Ull, being immortal, is a very traditional man and such was his relationship with Kristia. The two's love evolves slowly, making their intimate moments immensely meaningful. I'm looking forward to Kristia's wedding in book two, ENDRE!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elsker.