All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Infinityglass

Jan 16, 2013

it was ok
Read in August, 2013

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Most YA series follow the same protagonist throughout the series, or they expand to include additional POVs. The Hourglass series has featured different protagonists for each book with increasingly minor cameos by the preceding protagonists. Whereas Emerson completely captivated in HOURGLASS, and to a lesser degree Kaleb in TIMEPIECE, neither Hallie nor Dune were compelling enough to finish this series on a high note in INFINITYGLASS.

I’m chalking this one up to flimsy and rather generic characters. Hallie was on the reckless, wild side–and not in a good way, and Dune was about as interesting as a cardboard box. I never once felt an authentic spark between them or even a decent connection to substantiate the mild case of instalove that followed. Worse was the hackneyed mythology that managed to be convoluted and overly simplistic at the same time.

The plot itself-minus the infinityglass mythology–feels like a really dated romance novel: father hires a body guard for his bratty daughter, daughter tries to ditch, taunt, and seduce-in-order-to-get-fired the body guard only to fall for his stoic and resourceful qualities. For inexplicable reasons, the body guard breaks his own rules to keep things professional and gives in to the girl. Cue the kissing.

Unfortunately, the Hourglass series is one that slowed down for me with each book. The finale, INFINITYGLASS, bears little resemblance to the decent sequel and even less to the promising debut. Not even the minuscule cameos from Emerson and Kaleb were enough to inject any much needed excitement into this book, which is unfortunate since the author rewrote three completely different versions of it. Kinda makes me wish we could go back in time and read one of the other versions instead.

Sexual Content:
Kissing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinityglass.

08/18/2013 marked as: read