Cathy's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Mar 29, 2009

bookshelves: teens-vampires-and-other-beasts, teens-science-fiction, teens-scary, teens-romance

Wow, was this ever intense. Imagine if the zombie apocalypse came and went and what life would be like if hundreds of years later there were still zombies.

For the main character, Mary, and the others in her village, this is life. You are always prepared for the day when the zombies might breach the fence and come for you. Even so, life must go on. For Mary that means marriage or the sisterhood. She must be chosen by a mate by a certain age or she must join the sisterhood, a group of women who control and rule the village.

I loved this book, but sometimes I found Mary so selfish and self-centered that it drove me crazy. She was so obsessed with the ocean and something that is "possibly" there that sometimes she doesn't even see what is there. She has two men that are hopelessly in love with her and she is too busy thinking about what could be outside her village. Sometimes I just wanted to slap her silly! Even once she realizes how important love is, its too late, plus she becomes even MORE obsessed with finding the ocean.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.