Christian's Reviews > Shadow Children (Boxed Set): Among the Hidden; Among the Impostors; Among the Betrayed; Among the Barons

Shadow Children (Boxed Set) by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Mar 29, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: kids-books
Read in March, 2009

One of my students wanted these to be added to our classroom library. Since I like to be familiar with what the kids in my class are reading, I figured I should read these before putting them on the shelf.

The premise of the series is intriguing...in a world similar to our own, in the near future, families are prevented from having more than two children. A totalitarian government rules the country and the Population Police enforce the government's Population Law, killing or imprisoning "shadow children," any 3rd child (or beyond) in a family.

The series follows the life of one Shadow Child, Luke Garner, from his life on a rural farm to rebel against the government. These first four books came as a boxed set. I did not know that this was a series (that isn't completed yet...I believe there are 7 books so far....I have only read these 4) until they arrived. I read all four in about a day and a half.

The target audience is 8 to 12 years old and I think that is appropriate. The story is somewhat simple and the pace plodding at times. That being said, it has a disturbing, thought-provoking hook and it might be a good gateway series for a younger reader not quite ready for more adult themed books or authors (can't get a good comparision right now) that we all seem to discover in our teens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Children (Boxed Set).

Erin A two? Seriously? Obviously you didn't really get what it was saying. Obviously. You gaev it a two meaning that you did'nt understand what Luke went through in his life of hiding and living a lie. Think about it honestly, would you like to spend a HUGE period in your life without seeing sunshine or goin to school and every meal you feel as if you're stealing aomething from someone else. Please a two maybe you shoulg dig deeper into the book

Christian Erin wrote: "A two? Seriously? Obviously you didn't really get what it was saying. Obviously. You gaev it a two meaning that you did'nt understand what Luke went through in his life of hiding and living a lie. ..."

I really do not know how to respond to this. I have a different opinion than you. Why are you taking it so personally? I liked the idea but didn't think the books were written well enough to recommend to others. You did. No biggie. Chill.

Brooke Erin take a chill pill as some of my friends would say I'm Mormon unit that doesn't mean I get all worked up that one of my friends is atheist (did I spell that right?)

Corin Chellberg The two does seem a bit at odds with your review, which wasn't particularly negative.

Christian Is a two negative? I thought it was "ok". That being said, I did write that it was plodding and simple at times...